We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How ‘walkable’ is the city?

grand rapids
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
How ‘walkable’ is the city?

My family and I (2 adults & 2 kids) are thinking about visiting Berchtesgaden at the end of our vacation in Germany. We would be visiting Dec 31-Jan 2.

We will only have public transportation available to us (arriving by train from Munich) and I’m wondering if it is feasible to tour the city/sites using only our feet or local public transportation.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
1. Re: How ‘walkable’ is the city?

If you want to visit the town, it is easily done on foot from the rail station.

If you want to visit the lake (Konigssee) or take the cable car near the lake into the Alps, then you need to take the bus. The bus leaves from in front of the rail station.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,456 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: How ‘walkable’ is the city?

See this map with the bus lines of Berchtesgaden: rvo-bus.de/oberbayernbus/view/mdb/regiobusfr… The town center is very walkable, the saltmine, the Obersalzberg cable car, Haus der Berge (National Park visitor center) are all in short walking distance.

Jan 1 is a holiday, so do check opening hours of the places you are interests in. E.g. the saltmine and the Obersalzberg documentation center will be closed that day. The boats on lake Königssee do run, though (the lake is at the very bottom of the map, a 10 minutes bus trip from the train station).

Reply to: How ‘walkable’ is the city?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted