We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or renting car from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden

Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
Bus or renting car from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden

Hello,

My brother and I are staying in Salzburg for three nights. We want to visit Berchtesgaden one of those days. Is it best to use public transportation or rent a car?

This is our first time in this area so unfamiliar with the public transportation. We definitely want to hit up eagles nest.

I really appreciate any advice. Not sure if we want to do a tour package unless highly recommended.

3 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Bus or renting car from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden

Public transportation is convenient enough imho. Bus 840 to B'gaden starts at Salzburg Hauptbahnhof but stops at several other places in Salzburg also: www.salzburg.com/wiki/index.php/Buslinie_840

You can cover all transportation (on weekdays from 9am on) with a "BGL TagesTicket Bus & Bahn" for 12 EUR - except for the shuttle buses to Kehlsteinhaus a.k.a. Eagles Nest that run from the parking lot near the Obersalzberg Documentation Center which costs another 16,10 EUR for the roundtrip.

This map gives an overview of the bus lines in B'gaden: rvo-bus.de/oberbayernbus/view/mdb/regiobusfr… (the green lines are the bus lines). 840 comes in from the upper right. To reach Obersalzberg one has to change at Schießstättbrücke (or at ZOB, the central bus station) to the 838.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,750 posts
2. Re: Bus or renting car from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden

"BGL TagesTicket Bus & Bahn" gives actually a small discount on the Kehlsteinbus. Thus don't forget to show it.

rvo-bus.de/oberbayernbus/…eagles-nest.shtml

> You can cover all transportation

Only in the Berchtesgaden district (county). From/to Salzburg only the regional trains via Freilassing and the bs 840 are covered.

> (on weekdays from 9am on)

This restrictions applies only for the trains, not for the buses.

As the bus 840 stops rather early in the evening traveling back to Salzburg by train makes sense.

11 posts
3. Re: Bus or renting car from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden

Hi, sorry to ride on this thread. May I ask where can I buy the ticket ·"BGL TagesTicket Bus & Bahn”

I’m starting round trip from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. Can I buy this from Salzburg side bus 840 driver?

Thanks.

Reply to: Bus or renting car from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted