We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
304 posts
17 reviews
Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

I need to be able to text family members and access cell coverage for GPS or to look things up on TripAdvisor. 😀 Will my Sprint phone work? (They say it does, but even at home my coverage is spotty.)

6 replies to this topic
Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
923 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

How can we answer your question? It your contract. Look into your contract under "Terms and conditions".

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

Depends in your contract.

Natives are still using drums and fire signals, we do have apples but we mainly use them for baking apple cake.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

Say you have a contract that allows roaming in Europe the reception in mountain areas can be hit or miss. Don't expect perfect 3G coverage on every peak or in narrow gorges. In the towns it should be okay.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

Last year I had pretty good phone signals but I got hammered with roaming charges.

Set up an individual plan with your carrier that will cover what you want to use in Europe. Check out the app "whatsapp" that you can use with family and friends ( free) for calls/texts when you are away. It is free but both parties have to be on the app.

I am going to leave my phone on airplane mode the entire time that I am in Germany and I will utilize wifi at my hotel to get emails. I will also purchase an additional plan that covers this area so that I can do calls if I need to

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
304 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

Thanks for your help. My Sprint phone has free global roaming... my main question was whether or not there would actually be a signal in the areas where we will be. Sprint signal is lousy by my house - I have to use a wifi booster - so I didn't know if it would be better/worse in the Alps... figured worse! My son is a drummer - and I'll make sure I bring my matches. LOL :) Thanks!

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
923 posts
292 reviews
6. Re: Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?

>>> my main question was whether or not there would actually be a signal in the areas where we will be <<<

So, why did you not ask this question?

As already said, in Germany you can expect a good signal in Berchtesgaden, at least as long as you are in town. It may get weak when you are on the lake or on hiking Trails in narrow gorges where it might get blocked by the surrounding very steep and very high mountains. But Berchtesgaden is a major tourist place, so the carriers have installed proper antennas.

Reply to: Will my Sprint iPhone work in this area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted