We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
304 posts
17 reviews
Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

So, I blew it and didn't allow enough time to explore the Berchtesgaden area as fully as we'd like. And I can't change accommodations to stay longer. :( I've already cut the salt mines and Eagles Nest. We will be starting our Saturday morning at Untersberg (using Salzburg pass) at 8:30am with a quick trip up. Then we'll head to Hellbrunn and hopefully, if the lines aren't too long, see the palace and trick fountains. I'm hoping to be done with Hellbrunn by 1pm. From there we will head to the Documentation Center (skipping Eagles Nest) and then to Lake Konisgee where we hope to have time to go out to Salet and hike to the waterfall. I also probably should be allowing time for getting lost, parking, etc!

I'm thinking that our family might end up splitting so that some of them can leisurely enjoy Eagles Nest and the others the lake. What is the latest ferry that you'd recommend that we be on to safely make it back for the last ferry out of Salet? I really don't want to pay for a private shuttle back or sleep under the stars! :)

I know the ideal ferry is the first one in the morning, but I'm trying to work with the little time that I have. Oh, and we'll be there on a Saturday - mid-August - so we'll be fighting crowds, too!

Thanks!

Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden Tour...
515 Reviews
from US$ 68.10*
Special Offer
Salzburg Super Saver: Bavarian...
275 Reviews
from US$ 116.30*
US$ 130.30
Berchtesgaden and Eagle's Nest Day...
671 Reviews
from US$ 59.90*
15 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,250 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

Won’t work. You’d have to be on a boat to Salet by 1:30p to be able to complete the roundtrip hike to the falls. And that is a rather optimistic calculation and assumes that you are rather fast hikers.

You will be able to go to lake Obersee within that timeframe but probably not make it Fischunkelalm at the other end. The last boat back goes at 5:10p and, no, there are no private shuttles.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

With all due respect, you have put way too many things into this itinerary. First of all, skip the Untersberg. You can't do a "quick" trip. The cable car will have a wait, then it takes maybe 30 minutes to get up, see the top, then wait to get back down. It honestly isn't worth it. You are putting yourself in the Salzburg area on a very busy summer day which will be loaded with tourists and you haven't accounted for the lovely traffic that will slow you down.

Go to the Konigssee very first thing in the morning (get the first boat if you can). You won't be alone. Go to Salet, hike to the waterfall, and then return back. Then drive up to the Kehlstein, do the Eagles Nest and the Doc Center.......your group can even split up here if they don't want to go up to the Eagle's Nest. if you have time following this, then drive to Heilbron at this point. Personally, I would skip it because I can envision the traffic and crowds.

If you don't have much time, you can very easily drive up to the Rossfeldstrasse just above the Doc Center and enjoy a fantastic drive that will make the Untersberg seem small! Have a group lunch in one of the small mountainside eateries and enjoy the view and the food/beer. The Windbeutal Baron restaurant is a very short drive from the Doc Center parking lot, as is the Vorderbrand. There are also some cafes up on the Rossfeld. This is still a very busy day but I belive will be a much better way to wqork the crowds

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,286 posts
268 reviews
3. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

I look at your itinerary, and I see two full days, I'm afraid. I entirely agree with EmilyC123.

And the Rossfeld Ring Strasse really is worth the time it takes!

Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

Kalamazoo, so long as the weather holds, get the first ferry as advised, it's a lovely cruise, the echo point is good too.

Enjoy the trip and your hike, see what time you have left when you get back to Berchtesgaden.

Don't spoil a day by trying to do too much.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
304 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

You guys are great - thanks so much for your wisdom! The restaurants look awesome! I was just trying to fit in Untersberg because it was #1 on tripadvisor and I was trying to get the most "bang for my buck" on my Salzburg pass. So we'll skip that. Maybe we'll skip Hellbrunn, too, or do it the night before when we are in Salzburg. I would like to do a cable car at some point on our trip, but we'll get that the next day when we go to the Ice Caves. My crazy itinerary has us that next day going to the Werfen Ice Caves... maybe the castle, too, and then driving to Garmisch. Now I just need to figure out what route to drive... scenic or fast or ?

Thanks so much for your help.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
100 reviews
6. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

The Hohenwerfen fortress and the falconry show that happens twice a day at this castle is one of my most favorite destinations in this area. No doubt for me that you should include this into your trip to the ice caves. Where else can you go to see this kind of display? It is truly awesome.

For the topic of driving back to B'gaden from Salzburg or from Werfen, you need to put a separate post when you get closer to your trip.(or are you close?)

You need to avoid the border from Austria into Germany if you can. That particular border crossing has become very congested. Last year we devoted an extra hour or more to waiting in line to pass through. Put a separate posting with that border crossing in the title and you will get some good advice as to how to avoid it.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 17:55
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
100 reviews
7. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

<https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1165061-d195746-r187036029-Erlebnisburg_Hohenwerfen-Werfen_Austrian_Alps.html>

Reviews of the show

<https://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/hohenwerfen-castle/>

Edited: 06 August 2018, 17:57
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
304 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

Thanks, again! I've officially made it a Lake Konisgee day, with Eagles Nest thrown in, only if there is time. My daughter was doing some research and came up with Schrainbachfall, and Eiskapelle. Are those hikes we should try to do or should we stick to Salet and Obersee?

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
100 reviews
9. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

I like the Eiskappella but the falls is a great site too...I would stick with Salet. You can hike at Salet out to the Obersee and then to Rothbach for the falls there if you have time

Edited: 07 August 2018, 17:49
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?

jumping on board as I am planning a day trip to Berchtesgaden the first week of October. How do you find out information about the hikes? I was planning on doing the boat trip which i learned stops at a church then the second stop is the one you take to get to the mirror lake? Is that correct? Are there signs for that and is the waterfall part of this same hike?

Thanks everyone!

Reply to: Konisgee Ferry - latest time to still see Salet and Obersee?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted