We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jenner Cable Car

Vermont
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Jenner Cable Car

I have seen mention that they are replacing the Jenner Cable Car? I have never been on it, but I have seen videos... Does anyone know when it will be complete and if it will be down at all this year? We are visiting in October and hoped to ride it up the Jenner.

40 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,957 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Jenner Cable Car

There is no opening date announced yet. However, it is supposed to be sometime in summer, so you should be able to use the Jennerbahn in October.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Jenner Cable Car

<https://www.berchtesgaden.de/en/come-view/cable-cars/jennerbahn>

Looks like May 2018.

When we were there this past September, I enjoyed how the old cable cars could be found everywhere......outside of businesses, in peoples front yards.........looks like having a piece of this memorabilia is a status symbol in B'gaden.

I missed not having the cable cars available as I love hiking down from the peak..........not a big fan of walking up!!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Jenner Cable Car

I would not call it a status symbol. A lot of people buy these cable cars out of nostalgia. When Verbier/Switzerland took there old 2 seaters out, I got one. Think it was around €50 in todays money, to buy it was easy, to get it home to Germany, not so much. Thankfully it was not to big and sits in my garden now. We put a table in there and use it in the summer for breakfast. It is great!

As for hiking up or down, count me also into the down group,lol

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Jenner Cable Car

Yep, maybe status symbol is not quite the right word.

I do love the nostalgia of it and when I see them it always makes me smile.

Did you get the cable car home to the states?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Jenner Cable Car

Nah, family home in Germany. I would not want to know how much the cost would have been to the States. I rather spent that money on travel for myself,lol

I had a boat at that time on Geneva Lake, so somehow we fit the cable car on top of the boat , we managed somehow. These were 2 people cable cars from the 1960's , so they were not that big, but the border patrol looked funny at us while shaking there head on how stupid we are on doing this! It was funny

Edited: 23 February 2018, 23:05
Vermont
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Jenner Cable Car

Great news! We were so looking forward to riding it to the top. We also are big fans of hiking.... downhill. Will they continue to be the small, two person variety?

Thanks all!

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,957 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Jenner Cable Car

No, the new gondolas are going to hold up to 10 persons.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
100 reviews
8. Re: Jenner Cable Car

Oli6, we viewed the gondolas on display at the site of the new Tahlstation at Konigssee. It looks like they will be using two different types of cars,

Our impression is that the larger cars were for winter and the smaller more open ones were for summer??

Texas
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
225 reviews
9. Re: Jenner Cable Car

Fingers crossed it will be open in July. Now I have a real desire to ride it up and down. :)

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,957 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Jenner Cable Car

Emily, the open ones you refer to should be the new Mitterkaser chairlift near the peak. It gets 6-person-chairs instead of the old two-seaters.

Reply to: Jenner Cable Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden