We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel Within Baden-Wurtemberg

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Train Travel Within Baden-Wurtemberg

First of all, I apologize if I am beating a dead horse. I know this has been covered before but there are so many different responses that I am hoping to consolidate my questions. We are traveling primarily within Baden-Württemberg. I have loaded the app for the Deutsche-Bahn site and believe I have that somewhat figured out. My confusion seems to be primarily when we are in the Stuttgart area.

We are staying in Esslingen for 4 nights and plan on spending a few days in Stuttgart and a few in the surrounding area. I’ve loaded the VVS app down and think I’ve got that figured out. My first question relates to the 3-day VVS pass if you are staying in the Stuttgart area. I understand you need to provide the hotel you are staying at. Is this only available within Stuttgart’s city limits or would Esslingen count. And if so, we are staying in an AirBNB, would we provide the email confirmation of our booking (I only have directions at this time, no specific address).

My next question regards a reference to “metropolticket”. I don’t see this mentioned on the VVS site (English) so am not sure where this would be purchased. We do plan a trip to Tuebingen as well as other places in that area. It sounds as if this would be the most reasonable ticket to purchase for these locations. Is this correct or would the Baden-Württemberg daily pass ticket be cheaper?

And finally (I think), I’ve seen the Lander ticket - what would be the advantage of that over other tickets.

Thanks in advance for your help as well as thank you for all the ideas of things to see & do in the area.

2 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,569 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel Within Baden-Wurtemberg

First, the Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket is a Laender ticket, that is it covers a German state, in this case Baden-Wuerttemberg and a few places beyond its boundaries. A Metropolticket covers an area less than that of the Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket but a considerable area around Stuttgart. Both Tuebingen and Esslingen are within this area. The VVS area is an even smaller area centered on Stuttgart and includes Esslingen (Zone 3).

All of this tickets are good for local transportation in the areas of Baden-Wuerttemberg in which they are valid. So by purchasing either a Metropolticket or a Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket you might not need the VVS ticket that day. The VVS ticket is valid the whole day, but those other two tickets only after 9AM on a weekday that isn't a holiday. None of the tickets are valid on fast long-distance trains such as the IC,EC,ICE or TGV.

Using the www.bahn.com website, either the Metropolticket or the Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket will automatically come up if it is the cheapest option. Check use only local transportation and only valid trains will be shown

As to a 3-day VVS ticket they can be purchased only by people with an overnight stay in a local hotel. I know that this includes any in Stuttgart, but I don't know if the place is outside of Stuttgart. You could send an e-mail to the contact information at www.stuttgart-tourist.de . You usually have to go to the tourist information office either at the airport or across from the main train station on Koenigstrasse to obtain the 3-day travel pass showing proof of a hotel stay. You could also inquire in person what are your best options for tickets for what you propose doing. Sometimes they run specials and the ticket that is normally cheaper might not be.

For things to see and do in and around Stuttgart, have a look at my favorites in https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18727… which has several weeks' worth of excellent things to see and do. The more than excellent Wuerttemberg Museum in the Old Palace is free this year and has a children's exhibition floor. (Even if you choose not to visit the museum, the old palace is of interest itself and is a Renaissance castle which was formerly moated. Just before the entry door to the museum, to the right are the horse steps up which royalty rode to dinner and afterwards further up to bed! The rams on the clock in the SW corner of the beautiful courtyard butt heads to mark the hour. The original medieval cellars house a collection of golden clocks from the 1500s which is like a treasure cave, enterable only from the upper levels of the NW tower.) The nearby musical instrument museum is also free and on its top floor you can experiment making music with all kinds of unusual items.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel Within Baden-Wurtemberg

Thanks Marcopolko, very thorough and excellent description. That helps a lot. I also have looked at your previous postings, particularly the one in the Stuttgart area and am using that advice for planning several day trips in the area.

One question this may have answered that I have yet to ask...we are traveling from Mainz to Karlsruhe prior to arriving in the Stuttgart area. I’ve read about the Rheinland-Pfalz pass (Laender pass for that state I am guessing) and I am a bit confused as to pricing. If I use the Deutsche-Bahn site as directed above, I am guessing the pricing I am getting would be that pass????

And finally, one more transportation question. We plan on heading to Strasbourg for the day from Karlsruhe - can you tell me which would be the best train ticket for that?

Thank you so much...you are definitely a wealth of information!

Reply to: Train Travel Within Baden-Wurtemberg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted