We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with right train ticket/ pass

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help with right train ticket/ pass

Hi friends - I have some questions on the best type of train tickets or passes that will help me with the itenerary that I have for visiting Germany in May this year. Here is my itenerary and I intend to use the railway network only as I do not drive: -

1. Day 1 - Land in Franfurt and get to Freiburg im Brisgau (stay at Freiburg)

2. Day 2 - Freiburg to Titisee (and maybe Triberg too) and back

3. Day 3 - Frieburg to Europa Park and back

4. Day 4 - Freiburg to Gengenbach via Offenburg, Hausach, Villingen and back

5. Day 5 - Freiburg to Munich (stay at Munich)

6. Day 6 - Munich to Castles Neuschwanstein and back

7. Day 7 - Munich to Zugspitze and back

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

If you stay in a village rather than Freiburg, your bus/train transportation is free with the KONUS card which your innkeeper will issue you.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

Otherwise get a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket for the day-trips from Freiburg and the Bayern-Ticket for day-trips from Munich. You are restricted to regional trains, not inter-cities, but that should be fine.

From Frankfurt to Freiburg and Freiburg to Munich best to book in advance and take advantage of saver-fares, if you are clear what time you will be travelling (you are tied to the specific train(s) you choose when booking

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

Do I remember correctly from another posting that you are 4 persons? Don't hide such important information.

a) Rail&Fly ticket if offered by your airline

bahn.de/i/…rail_and_fly.shtml

b) buying discounted tickets in advance through the DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Note that such tickets are only good for the connection bought for.

2.-4.

One option would be to stay a bit outside of Freiburg e.g. in Kirchzarten. Than you'll get a KONUS guest card which covers all planned trips for these 3 days.

www.blackforest-tourism.com/info/KONUS2

Triberg is between Gengenbach and Villingen (day 3.) and won't fit here. Besides Titisee you can also explore Lake Schluchsee (every 2nd train continues to Schluchsee, i.e. hourly connections) and/or the Feldberg, the highest peak of the Black Forest. Hourly buses from Titisee train station to Feldbergerhof.

RVF REGIO24 ticket for up to 5 persons and the whole RVF network. EUR 21,00.

http://www.rvf.de/PDF/REGIO24.pdf

a) a RVF REGIO 24 ticket plus extension return tickets (Europa-Park is not inside the RVF) which are EUR 4,40 per person. This option allows you to travel also on weekdays before 9am.

http://www.rvf.de/Europapark.php

b) a Baden-Württemberg Ticket for 4 persons. EUR 35,00.

bahn.de/i/…baden-wuerttemberg-ticket.shtml

Baden-Württemberg Ticket for 4 persons. EUR 35,00.

5.-7.

My suggestion would be Freiburg - Füssen - Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Munich. These are rather long day trips from Munich. Thus you basically just sleep there. A waste of travel time.

From Freiburg to Füssen you could travel on regional trains. Either on a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket or a Quer-durch-Land-Ticket.

bahn.de/i/…regionalangebote-uebersicht.shtml

Select at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport" to see connections you can take using these mini group tickets.

From Füssen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen you can take the buses or bus to Reutte and from there by train.

The buses to Garmisch-Partenkirchen are covered by a Bayern Ticket (EUR 34,00). As are the trains from Reutte to G-P. Bus Füssen - Reutte is EUR 4,10 per person. The route via Reutte is the more scenic one.

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Munich on another Bayern Ticket. Bayern Ticket gives you also a small discount on the Zugspitze ticket.

Füssen and Garmisch-Partenkirchen train stations have luggage lockers.

http://www.fuessen.de/en.html

www.gapa.de/Garmisch_Partenkirchen_Home_en

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

Thank you so much all. And yes, we are a family of 4. I now have some confusion on two routes: -

1. Freiburg to Europa Park (I guess the rail station is Ringsheim) - is this outside of the Baden-Württemberg area? So, I cannot use a Baden-Württemberg for the train from Freiburg to Ringsheim and back?

2. Munich to Zugspitze - One ticket (for 4) is sufficient to get to the base of Zugspitze and back to Munich, right? From there, I will buy a round trip to go up to the top most point.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

Ok, I got some more information.....Just want to know if the RVF can be sued for train and bus as well.....unlimited on a day?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

1. Freiburg to Europa Park (I guess the rail station is Ringsheim) - is this outside of the Baden-Württemberg area?

No. As I wrote you can take a Baden-Württemberg Ticket to the Europa-Park (the buses from Ringsheim train station to the park are also covered). The only disadvantage of this solution is that you can only start past 9am from Freiburg if you want to do this trip on a weekday (Mo-Fr). If you want to start earlier the slightly more expensive solution RVF REGIO24 ticket + extension tickets is without this time restriction.

2. Bayern Ticket (EUR 34 for 4 persons) gets you to Garmisch-Partenkirchen train station and back. At Garmisch-Partenkirchen you change to the Zugspitzbahn (the cogwheel train towards the Zugspitze). You buy your round trip tickets at the Zugspitzbahn train station (which is behind the main train station). A round trip ticket to the Zugspitze covers the Zugspitzbahn (cogwheel train), the Glacier cable car and the Eibsee cable car. Thus you can do a kind of real round trip (not just a return trip).

grainau.de/website/var/tmp/thumb_1462__fancy…

3. Just want to know if the RVF can be sued for train and bus as well.....unlimited on a day?

RVF is a local public transport association. RVF tickets cover all means of local public transport: regional trains, Breisgau S-Bahn, trams and buses.

The RVF REGIO24 ticket is - as the name implies - a 24 hours ticket. Thus unlimited travel inside these 24 hours (counted from the validation of your REGIO24 ticket).

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

Great, Abalada. Thank you so much for the insights and your patience in making understand the options. This is indeed a great forum and I look forward to enjoying in this great region of Germany.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

I have another question - if i decide to make a trip to the Rhine Falls from Freiburg, which is the best way to make it by train and what tickets should I use?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

From Freiburg to "Basel Bad Bhf" (Badischer Bahnhof) by RegionalExpress, and from Basel Bad Bhf to the Swiss "Schaffhausen" by InterRegioExpress. A Baden-Würtenberg-Ticket is fully valid for the whole journey.

see here:

bahn.de/i/…baden-wuerttemberg-ticket.shtml

bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/deutschland_erl…

If you arrive at Schaffhausen you can start with the visit of this lovely Swiss town first, before you walk back to the Rhine falls along the river, or you ride one stop to Neuhausen on a regional train again.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,862 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with right train ticket/ pass

Best option from Schaffhausen is either by bus to "Neuhausen(CH), Zentrum" or by S-Bahn to "Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall". The buses runs every 5 min, travel time 7-10 min. S-Bahn twice hourly, travel time 5 min.

Neither is covered by the Baden-Württemberg Ticket. But at Schaffhausen you can pay for the tickets need in Euro.

Get answers to your questions about Freiburg im Breisgau