We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baden Baden in January or February

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Baden Baden in January or February

Hi everyone

I am planning a trip to Baden Baden in January or early February. Do you recommend the place during such months. And what about the weather .. I did some research and it seems temp are quite low.. would hiking be an option in these months?

Thanks a lot

5 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,083 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baden Baden in January or February

Well, it is winter. The weather is going to be cold and wet. A perfect time of year to enjoy a spa or visit museums and theaters. Hiking? Not so much.

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Baden Baden in January or February

Hiking options depend on the weather which is difficult to predict.

Generally, in the Rhine Valley and the Black Forest, there is less rain in winter than in summer. However, in the Rhine Valley, it will often be very foggy and the sky will be grey, whereas on the high altitudes it will often be sunny (but not always). There can be few snow or a lot of snow. If there is a lot of snow, the landscape high up can be very impressive and the view will be very good (you can often see the Alps in winter but never in summer), but it will be difficult to move and you have to wear good boots and clothing. There is also the option of snowshoe hiking.

Baden-Baden has the advantage that city busses go high up in the mountains even in winter (to Mummelsee and the Hornisgrinde mountain), so you have good options to go up just for a short walk in the sun, and if it's too cold or the snow is too high, you just catch the bus again. One of the few German cities where you can see people boarding city busses with snow boards to go up in the mountains.

Put in "Hornisgrinde Winter" in Google to see how it looks like in winter if there is a lot of snow. If you put in "Schwarzwald Inversionswetterlage", you see the typical winter weather with fog and clouds in the valley and sun in the mountains.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baden Baden in January or February

In case you are interested in local festivals: Next year's carnival, due to the early Easter date, takes place already on the second weekend in February (Feb 8-13) and the carnival of the Black Forest region is very special. Baden-Baden itself won't be too much of a hotspot, but various places within easy reach in the surroundings and further south are. To get an idea what to expect, you may want to have a look at my blog: alemannicfastnacht.travellerspoint.com/

Should you be there earlier, during the weekends before the High Days the big jester meetings take place in various locations. Detailed schedules have not yet been published, but there seems to be one in Gengenbach on Jan 21. The Sunday parade will certainly be worth seeing. Who knows, you might even run into me there.

Edited: 11 August 2017, 18:21
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baden Baden in January or February

Thanks a lot..very useful info

malta
Level Contributor
110 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baden Baden in January or February

Hi, I was reading this post & the question is very similar to mine.

Only that I intend to visit for new year & stay for the 1st week of January.

Is it a good idea to visit during that period?

I'll be using public transport....is it difficult?

What attractions can I visit?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to: Baden Baden in January or February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baden-Baden