We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Idar-Oberstein to Munich - 1 day stopover

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Idar-Oberstein to Munich - 1 day stopover

My boyfriend and I are visiting a friend who lives in Idar-Oberstein in late September, and are then traveling to Munich for the opening weekend of Oktoberfest (staying in Munich the night of Sept. 20). We are traveling by train, and I would like to break up the trip by staying 1 night in a place between the two. We would be leaving Idar-Oberstein in the morning, spending the day and night somewhere, and then going to Munich the next day. Stuttgart seems like an obvious choice, but I wanted to ask if there are any other interesting villages or towns that would be better.

I know this next question will be a big stretch, but: my boyfriend is a licensed pilot, and would like to take a flight lesson somewhere in Germany while we are there. If by chance anyone knows of a good place (or specific flight school) to do this in Idar-Oberstein, Munich, or somewhere along the way, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 replies to this topic
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Idar-Oberstein to Munich - 1 day stopover

"...other interesting villages or towns..."

Near Stuttgart, look into Esslingen. Tübingen is very nice as well and would not force much of a detour. Both are attractive old-world towns on the Neckar River.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 15:16
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,658 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Idar-Oberstein to Munich - 1 day stopover

Stuttgart is not necessarily the most obvious choice for a stopover as the quickest train connection comes with a change in Frankfurt and then goes via Würzburg and Nuremberg, both surely worth a visit. Smaller towns and villages are not served by fast long-distance trains, of course, so would be more cumbersome to reach, but the options are almost endless. What's "better" depends on your interests.

Bamberg would be a convenient option anyway: a smaller but lively city with an intact oldtown (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) and with direct trains from Frankfurt and to Munich.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Idar-Oberstein to Munich - 1 day stopover

For things to see and do in and around Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ), have a look at my posts in the thread https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18727… which has several weeks' worth of excellent things to see and do.

Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
211 posts
4. Re: Idar-Oberstein to Munich - 1 day stopover

Depending on the time of day you start in Idar-Oberstein, the train goes via Stuttgart or Nuremberg.

The first interesting stop on both routes is Mainz.

On the route via Stuttgart, Ulm and Augsburg would be interesting in addition to Stuttgart. My favourite of the three cities is Augsburg.

On the route via Nuremberg I can recommend Würzburg as well as Nuremberg. Both are very beautiful and interesting cities.

Reply to: Idar-Oberstein to Munich - 1 day stopover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baden-Wurttemberg
Recent Conversations