We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Days in Lake Constance

State College...
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Two Days in Lake Constance

Hi,

My family and I will be in Friedrichshafen for a couple of days. After that we will be driving to the Black Forest stopping at the Rhine Falls on the way. I need help in splitting the attractions over the two days. I would like to make the longer day first and the shorter activities for the second day so I can combine them with the Rhine Falls vist.

Day 1: Mainau Island and Meersburg

Day 2: Lindau and Bregenz (cable car)

We will not visit any museum, just have a stroll in the harbor area and old town and visit the castle in Meersberg.

So which day do you think needs more time? I know it should be easier to go the Rhine Falls from Meersburg, but not sure if I should make it the determining factor. Do you suggest adding any other destination/attraction to the two days?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Florida
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
173 reviews
1. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

Assuming you take a ship to avoid parking problems, Day 1 is probably longer than Day 2. The island of Mainau is a wonderful park and only worth the entrance fee if you take some time for it. If you skip the Mainau, Day 1 is shorter than Day 2.

You could combine Day 2 with the Rheinfall by driving through Switzerland from Bregenz to Schaffhausen . The Swiss vignette is expensive but maybe you have it already. You could avoid the Swiss Autobahn, but it will take a long time to drive through all the villages and small towns.

Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
2. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

Are you planning to visit Rheinfall from Friedrichshafen or on your way to Black Forest. In case from Friedrichshafen I would recommend to combine this with Mainau and Meersberg. The Rheinfalls can be visit from two sides Dachsen or Neuhausen( close to Schaffhausen). You can avoid the Swiss motorway with route 13 along the Bodensee and you will pass Stein am Rhein, only in Schaffhausen be careful that you do not take the motorway because there you have to use a vignet, it is clearly stated. In case you visit the Rheinfall on you way to the Black Forest in Schaffhausen again be careful not to use the motorway but the local route.

State College...
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

Thank all for the replies. To clarify, we will visit the Rhine Falls on our way to the Black Forest. We will probably have the Swiss sticker.

Now, for Meersburg/Mainau visit, where should we park the car. Should we park near the old town to see Meersburg then move to the harbor and park there to catch the ferry? Or is there one single parking that can cover both places?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

The main parking lot for Meersburg is between the old town and the nearby car ferry. I would try to arrive early as that lot can get filled up. However, the lake boats such as the popular one to Mainau use the harbor on the other side of the old town, but it isn't that far away.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 03:22
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

Oh, and if you'll be driving west from Meersburg ( www.meersburg.de ), make sure to stop and visit the nearby lovely pilgrimage church at Birnau.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 03:25
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

Personally, I would skip the Rhine Falls and visit these places instead. Head north from Meersburg to Salem which has a nice monastery/palace and also Monkey Mountain (Affenberg-Salem) where almost 200 barbary apes roam free amongst the visitors. Then on to Heiligenberg with a palace that has excellent views over Lake Constance and the Swiss Alps. Then on to Sigmaringen with its gigantic castle/palace ( www.hohenzollern.com ). Then drive west along the idyllic gorge of the Danube River through the Swabian Alb mountains. Just idyllic with lots of castles and palaces perched atop the cliffs, and a monastery in Beuren. At Tuttlingen you can then take regular highways to the Black Forest. This is one of the most scenic drives in Germany and one of my favorites. It's really amazing later on Hwy 31 as you really won't know you're in the Black Forest until you reach it's crest by Titisee-Neustadt as it's a gradual tree-less ascent.

Personally, I would take more time and enjoy that drive as there is lots of excellent things to see and do along the way, probably much better than your Black Forest destination.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
173 reviews
7. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

From Meersburg to Mainau: Don't take the car ferry unless you want to take the car across, then drive to Mainau and park in their lot on the landside of the island. Take one of the white ships that go from Meersburg to Mainau. You could also take a white ship from Friedrichshafen to Meersburg, visit, then continue on another ship to Mainau.

Are you going there in summer?

State College...
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Two Days in Lake Constance

Marco,

Excellent suggestions! However, that route, with its interesting stops, will require a full day. I will see if I can replace something else with this plan.

Ingrid,

Thanks again. I will be in the area in two weeks.

Reply to: Two Days in Lake Constance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baden-Wurttemberg