We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Germany. Which city?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
NYE in Germany. Which city?
Save

Hi, I'm looking for some advice about a trip I'm planning. I want to spend 3/4 nights in Germany with my sister over New Years Eve. This will be a present from me to celebrate her 18th birthday. I'm 26 years old.

We have been to Berlin before with family but I'd like to go somewhere different. I have been looking at Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Munich. Would you recommend any of these or is there somewhere else you would go?

We wouldn't be big into clubbing but we do like bars. Firework displays are a bonus!

3 replies to this topic
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: NYE in Germany. Which city?
Save

Well, New Year’s Eve is happening in every city. I can’t see anything that would be an advantage of any city over the other.

Hamburg is a city that usually does very nice official fireworks, but I’m not sure whether they do that on NYE too. And if they do, whether they do it during a pandemic. But I think the combination of water (which Hamburg has lots of) and fireworks could be nice. Here are some pictures: https://www.hamburg.de/silvester/2700438/feuerwerk-gucken/ (NYE is called Silvester in Germany)

You’d also have the added Bonus that the Christmas Market „Weißer Zauber“ on the Jungfernstieg embankment is open until Dec. 30th, so you could visit that as well.

I’m sure the other cities you mentioned have something going for them as well. Someone else might elaborate.

Edited: 23 August 2021, 13:42
Mainz, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Germany, Bavaria, Frankfurt
Level Contributor
17,055 posts
73 reviews
77 helpful votes
2. Re: NYE in Germany. Which city?
Save

Note that Silvester is a rather wild affair in this ever so orderly country. Usually, there are no organized fireworks displays or outdoor stages - the party at Berlin’s Brandenburger Gate is one of the notable exceptions. Almost everywhere else people simply gather in the streets, on squares or along river promenades and turn them into makeshift war zones at the strike of midnight. Rockets and firecrackers are randomly shot into the air - and sometimes into the crowd. Add to that massive alcohol consumption and you know why nye is the busiest night in emergency rooms in Germany. One can have a lot of fun that night, but to first-time visitors the whole scenario may seem somewhat scary. I always love to point to a video by an American girl experiencing her first NYE in Munich: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmka2EcsGDY

In the larger cities new security concepts have been implemented recently, though, e.g. access control to popular places, ban of fireworks in certain areas, more police presence and what not. Can't think of a reason that would generally put one of the mentioned cities over the others, though.

A safe and fun way to enjoy nye is to watch the fireworks from some rooftop terrace after a nice multi-course dinner. Many restaurants and all major hotels offer special menues and events on nye. Also many bars have special programs which may require a ticket pre-purchase - the more so this year with the pandemic still going on. (Last year all gatherings were prohibited, everything closed.)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
53 reviews
101 helpful votes
3. Re: NYE in Germany. Which city?
Save

"A safe and fun way to enjoy nye is to watch the fireworks from some rooftop terrace after a nice multi-course dinner."

I always remember watching the people living across the street from each other down the hill from us in Stuttgart shooting fireworks at each other from their roof top terraces. Stuttgart was always a great place to watch the fireworks because of its bowl shape almost anywhere had good views over most of the city.

Reply to: NYE in Germany. Which city?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.