We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General weather question

New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
General weather question

I'll be on a 10 day german rhine cruise from amsterdam to basel and then a few days in munich the first 2 weeks of september. I'm wondering if i should plan on packing for summer heat or if it tends to be mild.

4 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,740 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General weather question

Nobody can answer that question. It has been unreasonable hot since mid April, that could change. But I never experiences such a long heat wave so early, we basically skipped spring. That said, it could be different in the fall.

My advice would be to check a 3 day forecast before you leave and pack accordingly. But in September is always good to take a light jacket with you for nights, especially if you want to sit outside. You might not need it, but it is good to have, just in case

Mentioned in this post
April
April
219 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General weather question

Given that summer started suddenly in mid-April, "winter" will probably start in September - and I am not joking.

With global climate change, European weather is rapidly becoming both bizarre and unpredictable, even, sometimes, for a few hours ahead.

Take today, after a misty morning, the afternoon has been hot and largely sunny with no signs of the day-long thunderstorms that were predicted as recently as breakfast time.

Mentioned in this post
April
April
219 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General weather question

Be prepared for temperatures between 15°C and 25°C and for rain and sunshine.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,740 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General weather question

General weather is, well, General weather. None of us will know. Weather has already been crazy this year in Germany. 33c in April rather unusual and that it stayed that way thru May into June unheard off. It cooled down a litte the past days, but still summer temperatures.

One weatherperson at some Newschannel mentioned today that Germany usually has between 5-8 Days with temperatures over 30c a year, we had 32 since mid April and it is not even Summer yet.

All we can do is give you advice on how it usually is. September is a nice month, maybe a light jacket to wear at night is usually what I would recommend, but this year, I have no clue.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 23:32
Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
April
April
219 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Cafe May
Cafe May
216 Reviews