We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

I already posted a question about taking a train to Paris from the Ramstein area, but I had another question to ask (for some reason, it won't let me post in the original post).

My husband and I are traveling to Germany and staying at Ramstein AFB in August for about a week. Any ideas of surrounding areas we could visit that wouldn't be very expensive?

Since Paris is about 4 hours away, we thought it would be worth the trip for a day. We really just want to do a day trip there, but I realize it will be a quick and rushed day. Would it be less expensive to take a bus or train to Paris? Do you have any of these websites you can list?

Staying overnight in Paris is an option, but we're not too sure since everything will have to be booked last minute. We're taking a military hop over to Ramstein and can't make reservations far in advance for hotel rooms since there is no guarantee we would get on the military flight that particular day (leaving from the US). It might be a week later.

Anyway, I'm not sure if we would even be able to get a hotel room in Paris 2 or 3 days in advance, especially during the summer. What do you think? Thanks!

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

It's tempting to try to get to Paris while on your trip, but I think you would not have the experience that makes Paris a joy, traveling in one day. There is so much to see in the region around Ramstein. Since you have about a week, research as much as you can on what interests you the most--wine? history, castles, cathedrals, quaint villages? just strolling and discovering on your own? All delightful, and reachable by day trips from the Ramstein area.

With only a week, the one-day trip to Paris would draw a lot of energy away from your visit with minimum return in such a short time. Hopefully, you can go to Paris and spend a week there some other time.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

Forgot to add--August is usually very warm in Paris, as well as being full of other tourists. Any Parisian who can, is on holiday somewhere else!

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

It is very tempting, but it also seems very expensive pp. We might have to do away with that idea unless we can find a cheaper alternative of travel. I was considering renting a car, but I definitely wouldn't want to drive in Paris. I wonder if there is a stop off right before you get to Paris where I could park the car and then hop on a train. Maybe we would even stay overnight.

Anyone know? Thanks for your advice!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

If Paris is your goal, you might find better responses on the French/Paris boards. There are a fair number of folks that regularly post to this board that live in Germany. It might be a similar situation on the French Boards.

The other thing that you might check is to see if the BX complex has a travel office that schedules tours for Military Personnel to Paris. When I was stationed in Landstuhl, we visited Paris twice with such a tour, staying a Paris suburb and riding the Metro into town. It was both cheaper and more convenient. But, timing might be the issue if you are flying standby.

Finally, Paris is great but so are many places in Germany not so far from Ramstein.

Regards, Gary

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

Thanks for the responses. I just found a travel agency that is on Ramstein AFB. They have some reasonably priced packages for a day or night tour.

Germany
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

I live near Ramstein and I've been to Paris many times. I took the trip throught the travel agency on base (RTT) and to tell you the truth it was not that great. Although, if you can only spend the day in Paris then the trip might be worth it. Paris is one of those cities where you need a minimum of 3 or 4 days if you really want to take in the sites of the city. Just to visit the Louvre museam is a day in itself. If you can possibly spend the night in Paris just research hotels online in the area. Most of them will tell you how close they are located next to the metro stations. Paris is very easy to get around with the metro and there are stops at all the main attractions. It doesn't cost much either. You can rent a car on base right behind the 24 hour gas station for a pretty good price. If you are driving make sure you get an international drivers licensce as France requires one. Also make sure your hotel has free parking if you decide to stay the night. I usually look for a hotel on the outskirts of the city within 500 meters of a metro station.

As far as other things to see while you are here:

Heidelberg: They have a very cool shopping district, paddle boats on the river during the spring and summer and a nice castle up on the hill you could visit.

Luxembourg City: About an hour and a half away. Nice city, shopping, Amercian war cemetary where Patton is buried.

Saarbrucken: About 30 minutes away. Also a nice shopping district.

Rudeshiem: Not far from Frankfurt. About an hour away. Lots of wine shopping. Shopping on the Drosselgasse: www.ruedesheim.de/en/portrait_rundgang.html

If you have any more questions let me know. I've lived at Ramstein for 5 years now and I'll try to help you out as much as i can.

7. Re: Day trip to Paris from Ramstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 07:48