We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Hi,

I am planning to go for a solo hike on Tour Du Mont Blanc in early October, maybe around 4th. I understand that there are many refugees that will be closed, but will there be at least 1 or 2 that is available? Or at least, will there be camping sites to set up tents?

And I only have 7 days to spare for the hiking, is it possible to complete it or have a shorter route for the hike? I am physically fit and have hiked a few times in other countries but nothing as big as Tour Du Mont Blanc.

Thank you all for reading!!

11 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

There will be some accommodations available in the towns that are open year round, but most huts will be closed. As far as spaces for tents, the one campground I know of that is right on the route is already closed for the season. You would need to just find a place for your tent, which is typically frowned upon, but there will be so few people out there. As far as the timing goes, 7 days is not enough for the whole round. You can maybe to Chamonix to Courmayeur, but keep in mind that public transportation to connect back to the other side will not be straightforward.

But...are you sure you want to do the Tour du Mont Blanc in October? The huts close because snow often makes the access to them difficult, and sometimes even dangerous. We have already had our first deadly avalanches in the Alps this year. I would only recommend the Tour du Mont Blanc in October to somebody very experienced with snow travel and the hazards of avalanches, but even then, not alone. It is also possible that you end up with a window of fantastic weather and no snow, but you will need to have the experience and skills to deal with some weather surprises.

For that time of year, you can maybe look at Jura, Queyras, or the Maritime Alps in France for a hiking tour. But anything else in the Western Alps is going to present challenges due to the altitude. If your travel plans are flexible, the Dolomites might be a really good option, but only if you are prepared to camp without campgrounds. I should stress that you should only go out for a multi-day trip in October in the Alps, even to the locations I mentioned, if you are prepared for and experienced with snow. I ended up in a surprise snowstorm this year in the French Alps on September 2nd that nobody was expecting.

I plan trips in the Alps for a living, and I am happy to recommend some other itineraries to you if you give me more details about what your are looking for and what your fixed travel plans are up to this point. But, it will be quite tricky this time of year.

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Woah , thank you for Information. I am also planning to hike TMB in a few days ... but now after reading your post I am reconsidering. I am an experienced hiker and my last hiking trip was 8 days and I hiked 426 km walking around 45-50 km per day with elevation. However , the question I am concerned about is where I will stay over night if the huts are closed .

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Did you make it to the mountain yet ?

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Hi DeAnna! Hut to hut hikes are always really tricky in the fall, as most of the huts are closed. Although, the solitude in the Alps in the fall makes it my favorite time of year to hit the mountains, and I have seen the most wildlife on my fall hikes. In addition to my suggestions above, here are some other great things to do in the Alps in the fall if you aren't into carrying a tent around: bike tour across the Alps (Munich to Venice is a great one), base camp in one town and do day hikes from there, rent a VW camper bus, or equivalent, and follow the best weather forecast to various hiking locations around the Alps. The VW camper buses are quite inexpensive right now in the off-season, and turn out to be very economical when you consider that your transportation, accommodation, and a kitchen are all combined.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions. I know how tricky trip planning in the Alps is in the autumn!

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Thank you for your suggestions but I prefer hiking rather than biking. Maybe just will do the part of TMB. Thank you

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Your best bet will be the north section. You go through enough civilization that you should be able to plan your accommodation in towns. Just keep in mind that some of the passes may already be problematic, and stay flexible. Have fun!

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

North part is not as beautiful as the south as I heard from many people . Thank you for your advice

Edited: 10 October 2017, 15:19
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Hi Brittany, I am actually just planning a trip to the alps and considering the southern part of the TMB. It seems like some stable weather coming days for most of the alps. What other suggestions would you have using a tent for a 4/5 day hike/tour. I will leave from the Netherlands by car, so just need to decide where to go;)

6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Hello. I just came back from beautiful hikes in Alps that I Ave done October 11 -14. I did sleep in the mountains In a tent in diffent places. All trails that I have done were in great conditions ! No snow and dry. Even though all télécabines were closed except Aiguille du Midi it didn't prevent me from finishing trails I have planned. First day I started from Brevent and hiked up to Lac Blanc passing Petit balcon sud, La Floria, chalet de Floria and finally refuge de Flégère. On my way back instead of taking the same way I took the trail Lac Cornu through le Col Cornu and then to Lacs Noirs passing down by Pranplaz, and down to Brevent. That trail took me all day and about 10 and a half hours. If you want to do the same you have to be perfectly orepeared for that because trail to Lac Cornu is very technical and required to climb up and then cross the mountain at some point on altitude about 2400 m where you have to move by holding on metal bars and be extremely careful . You might need a security belt to attach yourself to those metal bars while moving. It's pretty highl would say and steep. Then trail goes to Lacs Noirs and it does not really have a path but marks on the stones , so you have to look for those. Bring lots of water. I run out of water there so I ate snow and fill my bottles with it as well. The trail to go down by Brevent is closed so you need to choose the one that goes on the right by Plan Praz. L'index and Col de Glieres also great trails that I liked exploring. I also covered lace Brevent and refuge Bel Lachat 2125 m and there I spent a night and continue my hike after getting down by Meret trail. I made a big loop there and watching sunrise in the mountain is really cool. Also I went to Chalet des pyramids through Cascade du Dard and le Cerro and on my way back I took Plan d'Aiguille. All trails were in great conditions . Hiking scenery road from Aiguille du midi untill Montevrne also gives you an amazing view on mountains. Great hiking everyone.

Edited: 15 October 2017, 17:41
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October

Just came back from a wonderful trip! In the end I did part of the route du mont blanc 13-17 oct blessed with only sun. All huts were closed, but a few have a winter room that is open for use, so I left my tent at home and had some planning to do on where to sleep. I did bring my stove and meals. My itinerary was: contamines - croix du bonhomme (route Robert Blanc) - Elisabetta Soldini - Bonatti - Champex - (route fenetre d'arpette) Tré le champs. Looks like winter comes this weekend, so just in time;)

Reply to: Tour Du Mont Blanc in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted