We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
66 reviews
3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

I am planning for a 3-4 days hiking heavy itinerary around Chamonix around the end of this month.

I would like to do 2 hikes, upto 5 hours a day.

1. One of the hikes I was planning was the Flegre cable to Lac Blanc, and a stay at the Refuge. However, it looks like the place is really popular, and certain dates might be booked out. So any other alternatives for Refuges with good sunrise/sunsets would be great.

2. Which other hike(s) should I do to get slightly different views(maybe different peaks) from the Lac Blanc one. Is it worth going all the way to Courmayeur and perhaps doing the Val Ferret, but I really couldn't get much information about it.

3. One of the days I plan to do the Aiguille du Midi.

Any other suggestions would be great.

8 replies to this topic
1 post
1. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

Hey Ashwin,

Can you please share your experience and suggest what hikes should i go for while in Chamonix for 3-4 days?? I plan to be there in October first week..

Also, I will be flying from Copenhagen. Do you think Geneva or Paris is a better airport to arrive and how to I reach chamonix from there??..

Thanks in advance! :)

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

Hi Kriti, I spent 4 days, had a great time.

Day 1: Hike to Lac Blanc and then back to the Index lift and down from there. A good hike and great views.

Day 2: Aigulle Du Midi and then Hellbronner Express. Absolutely fabulous, especially the Hellbronner Express. And then a train ride to Montenvers glacier and back.

Day 3: Took a bus upto Col Des Montets and walked upto the glacier. Proceeded to Tours(Col De Balme), went up the chairlift and walked a lot around there, really beautiful views, especially the closeby peak.

Day 4: Lift to Brevent and walk upto Lac Brevent and back. An excellent hike.

I would recommend all the hikes, especially the walk to Index from Lac Blanc and Col De Balme.

I took a bus from Chamonix, ouibus, very convenient and cheap.

singapore
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

Hi ashenbahulkar ,

Do you mind sharing the website where you can find the info on the trekking routes or the name ?

Are the hikes strenuous ?

where did you stay that time ?

thanks!

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

I had initially looked up hikes on: http://photoseek.com/2011/switzerland/ Go to the Chamonix section.

But there are many more, a hiking booklet is available at the Tourist office which lists several hikes. All the ones I did were absolutely great, but there are several more.

I stayed Ski Chalets, the cheapest accommodation in Chamonix, I liked it.

6 posts
5. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

Hello. I just came back from beautiful hikes in Alps that I Ave done October 11 -14. I did sleep in the mountains In a tent in diffent places. All trails that I have done were in great conditions ! No snow and dry. Even though all télécabines were closed except Aiguille du Midi it didn't prevent me from finishing trails I have planned. First day I started from Brevent and hiked up to Lac Blanc passing Petit balcon sud, La Floria, chalet de Floria and finally refuge de Flégère. On my way back instead of taking the same way I took the trail Lac Cornu through le Col Cornu and then to Lacs Noirs passing down by Pranplaz, and down to Brevent. That trail took me all day and about 10 and a half hours. If you want to do the same you have to be perfectly orepeared for that because trail to Lac Cornu is very technical and required to climb up and then cross the mountain at some point on altitude about 2400 m where you have to move by holding on metal bars and be extremely careful . You might need a security belt to attach yourself to those metal bars while moving. It's pretty highl would say and steep. Then trail goes to Lacs Noirs and it does not really have a path but marks on the stones , so you have to look for those. Bring lots of water. I run out of water there so I ate snow and fill my bottles with it as well. The trail to go down by Brevent is closed so you need to choose the one that goes on the right by Plan Praz. L'index and Col de Glieres also great trails that I liked exploring. I also covered lace Brevent and refuge Bel Lachat 2125 m and there I spent a night and continue my hike after getting down by Meret trail. I made a big loop there and watching sunrise in the mountain is really cool. Also I went to Chalet des pyramids through Cascade du Dard and le Cerro and on my way back I took Plan d'Aiguille. All trails were in great conditions . Hiking scenery road from Aiguille du midi untill Montevrne also gives you an amazing view on mountains. Great hiking everyone.

From Geneva airport there is a bus that goes to Chamonix for €14 and that bus will also can bring you back to hé airport .

New Zealand
Level Contributor
232 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

Thanks for sharing your experience ashwinbahulkar. Do you think that proper hiking boots are required for your hikes on Day 3 or would good walking shoes be sufficient? My walking shoes do not have good grip on the soles so I am looking for walks that do not require proper boots.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

I used my usual walking shoes(not hiking boots) and it was fine. Ofcourse I didn't try very difficult hikes.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
232 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary

I am so pleased to know that, thanks for the information.

Reply to: 3-4 days Chamonix hiking itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chamonix