We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

portland, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

How difficult is it to take the train from St. Laurent du Var to Nice?

I don't speak any French (only English), so I am concerned with being able to purchase tickets, get on the right train and get off at the right stop :) How many stops are between St. Laurent du Var and Nice?

I've been told repeatedly not to drive into Nice proper and not to take a taxi because they are too expensive.

Any advice for an ignorant American would be appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance.

New England
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

Most ticket sellers at French train stations speak English, so you will probably not have a problem in that respect. also many stations have automatic vending machines to purchase tickets. Just make sure you validate your ticket at one of the validators as you enter the platform (they are usually orange). Nice should be your second stop. You will know you are in Nice. It is a very large train station. As you exit the station take a left and walk a hundred yeards or so to Avenue Jean Medecin. Take a right and this will take you down the main street to Place Massena, from which you can reach the Promenade des Angalise or the pedestrian Rue Massena. In a well touristed area like this speaking no French will rarely if ever be an issue.

New England
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

I forgot to add that there will be a sign on the correct platform saying "Direction Nice" or "Direction Ventimiglia". Every train stopping in St Laurent should be going to Nice.

portland, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

Thank you very much for the detailed information, DuncanH!

Do you happen to know what the direction name on the platform would be going back to St. Laurent du Var?

Thanks again for your help!

New England
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

nice has a very large train station with many platforms. As you enter the station there is a large board with all departing trains and their times and platform numbers. There will be similar indicators on the actual platform. It's that simple. The French rail network is one of the best in the world and very easy to navigate.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

The trains are quite frequent, about 2 an hour during the day, and the journey takes about 10 minutes. Fares will be lower if you avoid the morning rush hour. You will find the signposting quite straightforward. You will be able to pick up a timetable leaflet when you get to the station or click Horaires Seuls on www.voyages-sncf.com

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

Its very easy to get a ticket and the right train ,

However there are loads of buses between St Laurent du var and Nice - it costs one euro- cheaper and much more frequent than the trains.

New England
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

That being said the bus station in Nice is closer to the action (right next to old Nice), but the train is much quicker.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

There are also a number of buses you can get from St Laurent du Var to Nice: the 52 is the local one, then the buses that go from Nice to other major towns also pass through - the 400 on its way to Vence, the 217 on its way to Cagnes sur Mer, the 200 on its way to Cannes.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

Its really 6 and half a dozen between train and bus from st lauraent du var because what you save in train journey time you will probably spend waiting for the train as there are so few compared with buses.

I'd base a decision on which mode of transport to choose depending on where you want to be when you get to Nice.

portland, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from St Laurent du Var to Nice

wow, thanks everyone.

I am staying in Saint Laurent du Var for work, so I was planning on going to Nice for Saturday and Sunday.

I'll probably stick with the train as I feel a little more comfortable knowing where to get off! I always struggle with figuring out which stop I want when on a bus.

Just for kicks, what is the fare difference between the bus and the train?

Thanks again!

Get answers to your questions about St-Laurent du Var