We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving: Calais to Frejus

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving: Calais to Frejus

Hi, we're thinking about coming down next summer, just thinking for now nothing booked. Defiantly want to bring my own car. Is it "do-able" to drive from Calais to Frejus in one go? I have looked and I think with two drivers and stops every 3 hours it should be easy. Would ideally drive overnight landing in France at about midnight and arriving at the camp site around 2-3pm.

Mentioned in this post
Frejus
Frejus
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
France
France
Europe
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

It's around 720 miles and, if you've driven in France before, not too difficult with two experienced drivers.

You'll probably go around Paris which will add some extra time to your journey but you're going to be pushed to do it in much less than 12 - 14 hours.

If you use the quickest route you'll have about £80 in tolls to pay and the cheapest, no tolls, will take considerably longer at around 18 - 19 hours.

Use either Via Michelin - www.viamichelin.com - or Google maps to give you your route.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

Thanks. Haven't driven on a long run in Europe before but should be ok. I noticed the tolls are really quite heavy, but to be honest if we did the no toll route we'd need a room for the night and it would probably cost about the same.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

I've done this night drive to the Med many times over the years, via Reims, Troyes, & Dijon.

Your timing with fuel / toilet / food stops is about right at 15 hrs.

If fatigue does take hold have a few hours sleep in a service area. You will still get you to your destination by early evening.

Edited: 31 July 2011, 01:34
Mentioned in this post
Reims
Reims
Marne, France
Troyes
Troyes
Aube, France
Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

Thanks. Yeah I think I Reims, Dijon, and Valence are the places I've pencilled in as stops. The toll charges are quite high, but, it still works out cheaper than a hire car, and better than plodding along for 20 odd hours on secondary roads. I'm hoping that with two drivers we'll be able to get some sleep while the other drives and so cuts down the time a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Valence
Valence
Drome, France
Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

Yes, saves the cost of an overnight stop, plus you get to the Med a day earlier, an extra full day holiday!

Coming home is much more draining.......it's uphill all the way!

After the one and only time I did the return drive nonstop to Yorkshire I have always had a stopover .

Edited: 31 July 2011, 03:21
Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Calstock, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

No.

From Luton you are looking at nearly 16 hours DRIVING;

Add the stops for fuel, food, loos, to pay at toll booths, etc.Don't forget to add an hour at the tunnel, and another hour for the time difference and you are realistically looking at about 20 hours . You.cannot sensibly do it in one go even with two drivers. Certainly not safely.

Get to somewhere around Reims the first night. You will still have two full days on the road from Luton.

Believe me, I drive to Nice from England regularly and take two and a half days from Cornwall out, two days at least back. The furthest I have gone non-stop was London-Avignon and that was pretty stupid.

Mentioned in this post
Reims
Reims
Marne, France
England
England
United Kingdom
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

I may look into a stop somewhere then. I live in Cornwall myself now, It's just I haven't updated my page, we would be leaving from Luton however as he rest of the part would be flying from there, so I'd be driving there first the day before heading for the channel. Have you got any recommendations for places to stop?

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,835 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

I think I'd sharpen my pencil and redo my sums. Have you taken all costs into account regarding driving versus flying and renting a car? You can rent a small car for under 200 pounds and airfares are often only a few quid...

You have only mentioned toll costs but there is much else to consider:

- ferry or channel tunnel costs

- fuel

- wear and tear on the car

- time. ... you'd be lying in the sun a day sooner if you flew and would arrive both on holiday and back home a lot fresher than you would after pounding up and down autoroutes for 15 hours at a time!

Edited: 31 July 2011, 18:44
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,391 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

We do at least 6 return trips from the south of England to the south of France each year. We drive at least 3 return trips, flying and leaving the car in France inbetween. We always stop overnight for 1 night when driving, but If we didn't want to take things to and from our homes we'd be happy flying more often.

Driving does take a long time out of a shortish trip, and if you're not particularly planning taking huge amounts by car I'd suggest flying instead as well. If you need a car for part of your holiday you could hire one. It would also be a good idea to fly out if you're planning holidaying in the peak weeks, as the autoroutes can be like the M25, with huge traffic jams.

We usually stay overnight in the Troyes area; some hotels are very close to the autoroute.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
France
France
Europe
Troyes
Troyes
Aube, France
Calstock, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving: Calais to Frejus

Personally I'd have an easy first day. Leave Luton around 9;00 or 9.30 ( I wouldn't want to be on the M25 between 07.30 and 09.15), Channel tunnel and pull up in front of the Grand Hotel de L'Univers in Reims about 17.15 local time. Next day, nine and a half hours straight through drive to Fréjus, autoroute practically all the way.

You could carry on to Troyes the first dayand knock one and a half hours off day 2 in theory. However Reims in pretty much on the autoroute, and Troyes will take you an hour to get into and another to get out of if you want the centre. If you don't care where you sleep, there must be some tasetless characterless cheap chain hotel with rubbish food right beside the autoroute somewhere between Châlons-en-Champagne and Troyes.

Mentioned in this post
Reims
Reims
Marne, France
Troyes
Troyes
Aube, France
Get answers to your questions about Frejus