We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
848 posts
27 reviews
Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

Heya,

My mother and I will be on a European cruise (By Norwegian Cruise Lines) in August. We will land in Cannes port on August 11 (Saturday) from 7AM-7PM. That's a 12 hour cruise port… meaning there's either a lot to do (which I'm sure there is) or the cruise port is a drive from the location you want to get to.

I found Monaco, Nice and the Italian Market… would be great if we can do all three that day (if possible let me know ^_____^). It sounds like a good portion of people go to Monaco.

In the Norwegian Cruise Excursion site they have Monaco on your own (8hr) for $109

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/CEQ_55/Monaco-On-Your-Own?destination=Europe+Cruises&port=CEQ&sort=searchFeatured&sortOrder=asc&perPage=48

and Highlights of Monaco and Nice (8hr) for $119

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/CEQ_52/Highlights-of-Monaco-Nice?destination=Europe+Cruises&port=CEQ&sort=searchFeatured&sortOrder=asc&perPage=48

But I'm not a fan of Cruise directed excursions – they stuff you in a bus with 50+ people, they guides aren't passionate – you don't get as much out of it as the locals working for a local company. That's where I'm hoping people here can advise me. How do people typically go on about the Cannes cruise excursion port? Any tour company you recommend? Is it possible to visit all three sites (the ladies love to shop) – I read on Saturday the Italian Market is at San Remo… may be a bit far – but we do technically have 12 hours >___<

Thanks!

PS. Feel free to privately message me

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
526 reviews
1. Re: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

If my cruise took me to Monaco I would do an excursion to Cannes.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
2. Re: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

You will be tendered in. Cannes is small and easily walkable.

You can get the regular commuter train, approx. every 20 minutes , from the station ( a 15 minute walk from the quay) to Monaco. It costs approx. 10 euro each way . Now, I am not sure how much $ 109 is in euro, but I am certain it is a lot more than that.

You can break your train journey anywhere e.g Nice and get back on at no extra fare.

The journey to Monaco takes just over an hour and is very scenic in its own right. Then two and a half / three hours will do Monaco walking.

Nice of course is much bigger so breaking your journey there reduces the time window considerably and being sensible you will allow time for possible delays and cancellations. But it is entirely feasible.

Dobys comment made me laugh. I don't kn

Ed

Edited: 11 June 2018, 05:55
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
3. Re: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

That was meant to be ... I don't know why people landing in Cannes want to go to Monaco, while those going to Monaco want to go to Cannes:). Regular queries here.

Ed

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,266 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

:I found Monaco, Nice and the Italian Market… would be great if we can do all three that day (if possible let me know "

Nope.....WAY too much for one day. Not even close to feasible.

If you like to shop.....just stay in Cannes or do a half day trip Ste Marguerite and shop for the rest of the day.

trans-cote-azur.co.uk/departing-nice/…

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

You can combine Monaco and Nice. I'd take the train to Monaco first thing in the morning. (Be sure to get in line or get a "tender reservation" from your cruise ship or you might be the last one off at 10am+) Go to the Rock for an hour or two. Buy a train ticket back to Cannes but get off in Nice. Walk old town and Castle Hill in Nice for a couple hours. Re-validate the ticket before getting on a train back to Cannes...

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
848 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

Yeah Italian Market is out. So right now I'm trying to find a nice tour company that would take me to Nice + Monaco and show us around. I know I can DIY... but right now I'm trying to set up a small tour group or private tour group for 2 of us and whoever in the Cruise critic roll call that wants to join (6-12) people - any company recommendations?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,266 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?

Why not stay in Cannes / Antibes and surrounds?

You don't need to travel to Nice and Monaco in a people mover....

Reply to: Cannes Port Excursion Options and Recommendations?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cannes