We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

I've been looking at Airbnb but am finding it hard to decide which apartments fit our requirements. Is anyone able to make a recommendation - just for 2 people - 1 or 2 beds. We will be fully dependent on public transport so easy access is most important. Unfortunately, we will be there in July so noise may have to be a consideration, ie not something above a bar :-)

15 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,498 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

Are you looking for something for now?

This July?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

No, 2019. Do you have a recommendation datt?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,498 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

I guess my first question would be is are you aware that the Performing Arts Festival essentially "takes over" Avignon every July?

Is that the reason that you want to visit?

As you can imagine, the demand for accommodations / vacation rentals etc. drives up prices.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
164 reviews
4. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

I would certainly be looking for something in the old town, not outside. From memory some of the area adjacent to the walled city is not particularly attractive The old town of Avignon we found perfectly safe. However, as dat points out, the Arts Festival will be happening so I would get onto your accommodation as soon as possible.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

Yes, very much aware and that is why I'm getting on to it now. Perhaps should look going elsewhere - maybe Marseille and do day trips into Provence but that gets pricey. Unfortunately, we've never driven on the right. The visit to France is for husband to see the finale of the Tour de France. We've visited Paris before so only want to spend about 3 days there to visit a couple of places we missed before.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,498 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

OK.....Marseiile is a different proposition entirely.

A big, very urban ( and gritty) port city.

Not eveyone's cup of tea.

Avignon is the best public transport hub in Western Provence.

How long will you want to stay in Avignon for?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

Yes, Marseille isn't particularly attractive but I got the impression I'd been talked out of Avignon. Chose it because of the good public transport options. Intend staying for a week. I guess I could look at Arles or Aix?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
164 reviews
8. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

Agree, Marseille is very different to Avignon. Some hate it, we loved it. Marseille is only half an hour by TGV to Avignon, a bit longer if you take the train into Avignon Central. There is a train which runs between the TGV and Avignon Central if you take the TGV. My suggestion would be to look at the accommodation in Avignon now (definitely the old city) and if nothing available or does not suit, then look at Marseille or one of the other wonderful towns in Provence, bearing in mind where you will be able to view the Tour de France. I don't follow it that much so can't suggest anything there. However, if the route goes through St Remy (and I think I have seen that on TV) that could be a possible base for you. Not far from Avignon and very central.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,498 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

You could also look at smaller options lie St Remy and L'Isle sur la Sorgue.

More complicated with public transport, though.

The Tour always goes to Mont Ventoux......close to Bedoin.....not that far from Avignon.

Edited: 14 July 2018, 14:48
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
164 reviews
10. Re: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations

dat, do you agree that the OP would be best to rent a car if staying other than in Avignon? My husband has driven in Provence (and USA) and had no problems but I can appreciate the reluctance of anyone who has not driven on the "other side".

Reply to: Apartment walking distance old town, train and bus stations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted