We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review renting at Europcar Avignon

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Review renting at Europcar Avignon

It was not bad at the beginning and the car came with GPS so OK. The worst thing came when I returned. Everyone, Please make sure you check your vehicle for every fxxking detail to the T and report on paper anything you found before taking your car out the lot because they may want to screw you at the end. Otherwise don't rent from them.

Here is what happened at return. The 'guy' at car return picked on a scratch-liked mark and reported it. My wife and I were like 'no way', so we went inside to check with another staff. My wife in a minute later was able to clean off the mark by tissue as it was just dirt!!! The lady staff from inside saw it so it was OK. I then went back to the gentleman and let him know. He insisted it was a mark. I said: your eyes were not right and you better do your job carefully before marking anything down making customers pay where they shouldn't. He then confronted and almost threatened my wife and I saying: Don't talk to me like that! My wife said: They pay you to do a job but you never tried checking the non existing scratch closely and putting something in. He ignored and in anger told us: Don't talk to me like that! I was like I am not going to argue and left. Maybe it's the French-English thing that he felt humiliated but I was just trying to tell him the truth. Again, in my mind, he was very rude to customers and it shouldn't be like that. Whatever he shouldn't threaten customers. He should learn customer service. We returned the car this morning at 9:30 July 8th 2018.

8 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review renting at Europcar Avignon

So was he just rude, or did you get charged for damage?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,052 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review renting at Europcar Avignon

<<They pay you to do a job but you never tried checking the non existing scratch closely and putting something in>>

Telling someone that ¨your eyes were not right ¨ and that ¨you better do your job¨ will probably not help you a great deal in obtaining outstanding customer service, particularly in France. The French take the idea of ¨Egalité¨ very seriously and you have no special status here just because you are a customer.

Hopefully you took a few snapshots of the disputed damage, or lack thereof, to help establish your position. Otherwise, if the rental office decides to press the damage amount, at a minimum you will be engaged in a long distance dispute about money and what really happened.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review renting at Europcar Avignon

I am not 100% sure and now I saw other couple charges which I already paid for when I reserved the car.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review renting at Europcar Avignon

Thank you sir for the note. OK I wasn't meant to insult him but to tell the truth that he saw it wrong. I didn't mean to have higher status but didn't appreciate that attitude towards customers as customer service. Thanks for the note.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,052 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review renting at Europcar Avignon

Rarely if every are all rental car charges paid in advance. There are usually road taxes, location surcharges, environmental fees, additional driver fees, among others which are paid at drop off.

Read you contract carefully and be sure that what you were charged is outlined in your contract.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,976 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review renting at Europcar Avignon

Your way of confronting the clerk was aggressive and certainly put fuel on the fire. I have learned, living in France, that confrontation is bound to lead to failure, as you have now learned too I would imagine.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review renting at Europcar Avignon

That's not true for France, only.

Edited: 08 July 2018, 22:46