We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
141 posts
14 reviews
Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

I am considering staying a night or two in Avignon after taking the TGV from CDG. Is it easy to take the shuttle into the town from the TGV station (with luggage)? Is there lodging (small hotel, B and B) that is easily walkable from the town train station? And is the town itself easy to see without a car? Any advice on lodging for a solo traveler would be most welcome as well! Many thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,066 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

I don't know the shuttle but it is not far by taxi.

Look on-line for accommodation near the local train station. There will be lots.

The town is fairly easy to navigate on foot, but has high and low parts. There is a small tourist "train" that goes through the town.

These are some Tripadvisor listings with reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/VacationRenta…

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

The shuttle TER train leaves from an adjacent platform from the TGV arrival from CDG. Normally there are not even any stairs/lifts/escalators to manage. If you look at a map of central Avignon you can see where hotels are located in comparison to Avignon-Centre station. Avignon city is easier to see without a car than with one. That is not true for the surrounding area.

Pontorson, France
Level Contributor
248 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

See if you can reserve a room at Hotel Le Colbert - it would suit your purposes well!

Kyriad opens right out onto the Palace of the Popes - check there too.

Its absolutely not necessary to have a car while in Avignon. Pick one up if you want to tour beyond the city, when you get back to the gare. I'd grab a taxi into centre ville..

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,797 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

As others have said, there is plenty of accommodation not far from the Avignon centre station and it’s not a good idea to have a car in the small centre of Avignon. As long as your visit isn’t due to take place during the Avignon Festival which takes place during most of July or August, peak months for tourists, you should be fine finding somewhere suitable to stay.

There’s a link to taking the shuttle from the TGV station to the city centre station on the right towards the top of this page. Don’t be too concerned about the red warning box that you’ll see - TA has stopped us all updating information on Top Questions; only such things as price may have changed by a little.

Enjoy your visit!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

It is easy to walk around Avignon without a car, I have. The Hotel Bristol is an excellent location being not too far from the train station (sort of in-between it and the main square), but it's not a real cheap/B&B type place. B&Bs really don't exist much in French cities, that's a rural concept.

The Colbert is a good idea, and also this hotel is kind of a B&B type place and excellent location for walking

http://www.hotel-boquier.com/en/

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,326 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

It's easy to take the train to Avignon Centre. I just bought my ticket at the station. I think there were some TGV trains that went to Avignon Centre, but not sure if they do from CDG. I stayed at the Kyraid Avignon - Palais des Papes, and it was fine. Very convenient. I walked from the train station. As long as you don't have too much luggage to manage it's walkable. You can plot it out on Google maps to see how far it is. I think it was slightly uphill into town and slightly downhill back to the station. (Slight enough that it would have seemed flat without luggage.)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
141 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

Wonderful information from all of you. Thank you tons! I will look at all the suggestions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
528 reviews
8. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

I strongly suggest you stay in the old town center. You can take a shuttle but we just took a cheap taxi (under 10).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

I did the same trip with luggage (on wheels) and it was an easy and flat walk from Avignon centre station to Place de l'Horloge.I stayed at the Kyriad, would stay there again.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
93 reviews
10. Re: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train

From Avignon-Centre station nearly all hotels are within 10 minutes on foot. Make sure you take one within the city walls or on the same boulevard as the station. A friend of mine was happy with Le Régina.

Reply to: Avignon Lodging Convenient to Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted