We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Quillan

Midlands
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Driving to Quillan

Hi, I am thinking of staying in Quillan and would appreciate any information regarding this journey. It is not possible from my map to determine if the road between these two places is a main road or just a minor one. While the distance as the crow flies is not great I am keen to avoid a tortuous journey through mountainous terrain. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Driving to Quillan

Taking the direct D117, the distance is about 75 km and will take you between 1 hr 20 min and 2 hours depending on how busy the road is. I am not sure how you would define a "main road" but it is a long way from being an autoroute and is quite winding in places - however, there used to be a parallel railway line, which you will see traces of in places, so it can't be too bad. Just take it easily, remembering the (new) 80 km/h (50 in villages/towns) speed limit and you will get there safely.

Have a look eat on Google (3D) Satellite View and Street View if you have any doubts, but you are not going to get to Quillan without driving on roads like this (and worse).

Midlands
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Quillan

Thank you for your reply. It sounds as though the road won't be a problem - winding is fine, the thing I want to avoid is narrow roads with 200 foot drops on each side - I'm a vertigo sufferer for my sins.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Driving to Quillan

I cycled most of the way a few weeks ago, and I can tell you that the D117 is quite a major road, pretty wide, mostly well-surfaced with some larger vehicles on it. They have no problem, so a small car will be fine.

It does wind a bit in places but it doesn’t go very high. It’s nothing like the roads over the mountain passes in the Pyrenees. However there are some bits through the river gorge where there are some steep drops. There are solid walls though, and it felt perfectly safe, even on a bike riding right next to it.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 05:11
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
208 reviews
4. Re: Driving to Quillan

That road is not a problem. Some great scenery on the way to Axat then the wonderful gorge before arriving in Quillan which is bit of a one horse town.

Midlands
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Driving to Quillan

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Quillan, France
Level Contributor
69 posts
339 reviews
6. Re: Driving to Quillan

I live in Quillan. The route is Route Depertmental" - mostly flat, a little narrow in the gorges outside Quillan but an attractive and easy to drive road.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,085 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Driving to Quillan

The drive through the gorge was one of the prettiest drives I've ever had. Nothing scary about it.

Reply to: Driving to Quillan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Perpignan
Recent Conversations