We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

I'll be in Paris next month with a group of 6 adults, 2 children and a toddler. Here's the catch(es). We are interested in GOOD food -- not necessarily 5-star-French-Laundry type, but really delicious French food. And there are 9 of us, so seating is my concern. Help, s'il vous plait:)

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,840 Reviews
from US$ 37.80*
US$ 43.50
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

I suggest Bofinger: http://www.bofingerparis.com/en/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

If you are travelling together, I would suggest an investment in Zagat's restaurant guide for 2014, it comes in very handy with its list of restaurants by location, type of food, short description, important information like closures etc. You can compare that with excellent food blogs like Paris by Mouth. Research is part of the fun, happy eating.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,787 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

Seating is not your major concern, your problem is going to be that GOOD French restaurants open around 8pm, and last 2-3 hours, making it tough for the under 10s in your crowd.

La Cigale Recamier is a souffle place with a large outdoor area. That may work.

Ty Breizh crêperie is open early and uses good products.

In the same area, Au Coin Pasteur is a simple café, but they make their own pot au feu and it is great. Their other dishes aren't bad, either.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

We ate at Sud Ouest Monceau in the 17e Arrondissement a couple of times in 2013 and enjoyed it. It won't win any prizes for decor but we enjoyed the food and it is off of the typical tourist trail. Just call ahead for seating. In August, they have a lighter, more abbreviated menu.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Edited: 14 May 2014, 22:10
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
75 reviews
5. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

We have eaten en famille at Le Soufflé, Au pied de Cochon, Bofinger among others, brasseries are good choices.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,080 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

a toddler doesn't belong in a good French restaurant where dining begins around 8 and lasts hours -- most kids are not up for this and toddlers simply don't belong in such a place. I suggest that when fine dining is in order that some member of the party deal with the kids leaving the others to dine -- taking turns.

there are plenty of places where you might be able to eat with a toddler if said toddler can handle a restaurant better than many toddlers do e.g. there are bistrots with nice menus and earlier service and brasseries -- but any time you are out with a two year old, someone needs to be prepared to take the kid out and home.

been there, done that -- been the designated toddler wrangler on occasion. our two year old granddaughter is fairly adept at dining out but still couldn't manage dinner out one evening and I took her back to the apartment. During lunchtime another day, her father took her for a walk till the food came. I would't be surprised if you were turned away from a fine French restaurant if you showed up with a child this young.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

I was going to suggest Bofinger also, but the bit about the toddler could be problematic even in a bustling place like that. Perhaps you could go for an early meal there, before it gets busy. I'd check the website. I was all over Paris many times with toddlers and would never have taken one into a typical brasserie with the "GOOD" food you claim to need. We had perfectly nice meals at places that had outdoor seating (if it was chilly, we'd find a place with one of those enclosed outdoor seating places and heaters). We always had an escape route. But then, there were never 9 of us.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,741 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

I love the suggestion that janettravels44 made in post# 6. When dining is the goal, you can take turns with the toddler. (And perhaps the children depending upon their ages.) i think you can come up with some fair ways to divide the supervision. Perhaps the parents of the toddler/children could have a nice lunch together while another of the group members supervise the kids on a stroll through the Luxembourg Gardens, etc.

I think that you could possibly manage having a fun outdoor meal, though. I just love Chaise au Plafond (and the restaurant, next door, Les Philosophes, which shares the kitchen.) It is right at the intersection of rue Vieille du Temple and rue Tresor in the Marais. If the toddler gets squirmy, one of you could simple take him/her for a walk along the gorgeous rue Tresor.

It is definitely French, but the meals are simple. So there's not a lot of waiting to be served, etc. If things are going well, you can linger. If not so well, you aren't stuck or disrupting others.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,080 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

another great idea here -- many very nice French restaurants do similarly elegant lunch menus at reduced cost for a very similar menu. having one team get a nice lunch and then do kid duty while the others do dinner is a great idea.

when we had the toddler in Paris, we ate in most nights because it was easier for everyone. but that of course doesn't meet your goal of Paris dining. be sure you have a reservation if you want to eat with a large group -- plenty of places can handle the group size but not necessarily as a walk in.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: Dinner for 9. Yes, 9.

I missed the part about the toddler, so how old is the toddler? Are these "city kids" who are used to eating at restaurants regularly? That may make a difference, say if these are from big cities like NYC or Chicago and are used to being "hauled" out by parents to restaurants on a regular basis. That said, I would not go beyond a brasserie and there are many good ones. Hence, my fall back of having a copy of Zagat and a look at the Paris dining blog. I think David Lebovitz has a section on kids in Paris.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/paris/