We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giverny end Oct -

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Giverny end Oct -

Is it worth going to Giverny end Oct

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,846 Reviews
from US$ 37.60*
US$ 44.20
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$ 110.40*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
26,436 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Giverny end Oct -

Not really. It closes for the season on 31 October.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Giverny end Oct -

I'd say it depends....if you're a Monet fan and don't mind what's flowering (or not), and might not get back ever again at a better time, I'd say yes. It's wonderful to see what inspired him and it's not a huge effort to get the ( hardest part was finding the ticket machine at Gare St Lazare lol)

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Giverny end Oct -

If you like subtlety...

I visited there at the end of October. Rainy on and off. Blah. Some color remaining in the garden. I thought the interior of Monet's home was the most enjoyable, actually cosy vis a vis the weather outside. And certainly neat to inhabit where he inhabited. By the time I got out to the pond, I.Was.Bummed. Only an open lily left here and there. (Same re other visitors around it, too.)

It started to rain again, big drops, slowly - ploop here, ploop there, ploop-ploop. Etc. Well, I need SOME evidence that I'd been there, so I took some pictures -- the Japanese bridge at the other end of the pond, the pond steel grey, reflecting the steel grey sky, and the aching paucity of lilies. OK, a blessed paucity of people, too.

WELL, back home, those photos with the random lilies and scattered large "ploops" are among the nicest from my experiences in France, and that I've ever taken. At least artistically. Closest I'll ever come to Monet, on more than one level. And not another person in the photos. Serendipity of the most surprising kind. From a seeming washout. Wonder how many have an experience at Giverny even remotely similar to this. You.Just.Never.Know.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 13:10
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,804 posts
4. Re: Giverny end Oct -

Nice post! Last time I went was the last weekend in October on a Friday morning.

No one around. Great!

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
1 review
5. Re: Giverny end Oct -

We went 3rd week in October some years ago. Still plenty of color and a worthwhile trip.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,853 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Giverny end Oct -

If you go to the official website it will tell you what flowers in bloom in the various seasons:

fondation-monet.com/en/au-fil-des-saisons

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris, Montreal
Level Contributor
19,570 posts
163 reviews
7. Re: Giverny end Oct -

End of October might have some very nice, mild, sunny days and then it would be worth it.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,937 posts
171 reviews
8. Re: Giverny end Oct -

It depends on whether the flowers have wilted by then. Call ahead and if they say "frost damage" and offer a discount admission, that means the flowers are well past their prime.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Giverny end Oct -

While the frost well may nail them, and while I did say that there was only a little color in the garden at that time of year, they were autumn flowers. They may replant the garden throughout the season, like Disneyland. (But not the lilies!)

Edited: 11 October 2013, 10:03
Paris, France
Level Contributor
26,436 posts
32 reviews
10. Re: Giverny end Oct -

Today, for example, the weather is positively miserable (rainy and cold) and it's supposed to remain this way for the next several days... perhaps things will improve by the end of the month, or else get worse.