We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Beziers

Ft. Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Beziers

I've searched but can't find the information I need on this so I may be looking in the wrong place. I'm hoping someone can help me.

Myself and 2 others are flying into Orly on Sept. 24, landing around 10 am Paris time. We need to get to Beziers as quickly as possible that day. This is our first trip to France so we want to make the transfer as easy and smooth as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,960 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Beziers

There is a 12h07 train from Gare de Lyon to Beziers which takes about 4.5 hours. Tickets, if you purchase now, will cost 30€. You would take a taxi from Orly, about 35€ to catch the train.

www.voyages-sncf.com (in French only)

www.tgv-europe.com (select Afghanistan as your country to preclude being sent to Raileurope).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Beziers

You can fly to Montpellier. Béziers is quite close to there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Beziers

Crazy, I hate not giving a well-researched reply, but I don't have time for research right now.

I'd want to know where your flight into ORY is coming from, which airline, and if you'll have checked-in luggage (as opposed to just carry-on). If the answer to the last question is yes, I wouldn't be confident of catching a 12:07 train out of the Gare de Lyon.

It could be nearly an hour from the time you step off the aircraft to to time you leave the customs area with your luggage. Then 15 minutes to board a taxi,and 30 minutes to get to the Gare de Lyon (average traffic on a Monday mid-day). Then (with your tickets in hand, of course), another 20 minutes to determine the departure platform, and board the train.

I wouldn't want to cut it that close. I'd study the air schedules from ORY to Montpellier, as suggested. Or maybe there's a better idea.

-- Steve

Edited: 04 July 2012, 15:24
Ft. Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Beziers

Everyone, thank you so much for all the help! One of our party was able to look up a flight from Paris Beauvais to Montpellier and it was really inexpensive. That wasn't even something we had considered, thinking it would be cost prohibitive. Now, just to figure out where Beauvais is and how to get there. LOL!

Have a great weekend!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Beziers

"Now, just to figure out where Beauvais is and how to get there."

If you are committed to flying into Orly, that would be a problem. Orly is just south of Paris while Beauvais airport is nearly 50 miles north of Paris. You'd have to go into central Paris, make your was to a bus for Beauvais airport, and then it's at least a 70-minute ride. Compared to that, taking a chance on catching the 12:07 train is starting to look more attractive.

Aren't there any flights from Orly to Montpellier? I'd be willing to spend more (up to a point) for that.

What is the exact scheduled time of your flight's arrival at ORY? The critical factor, as always, is "what if the flight arrives more than a few minutes late?"

To give you a 'better-case-scenario,' you step off the aircraft at 10:05, collect your luggage at 10: 50, board the taxi at 11:05, arrive at the Gare de Lyon at 11:35, study the departures screen, and board the correct carriage before 11:55.

I should add that much of the rail journey is interesting.

-- Steve

Edited: 07 July 2012, 02:33
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,960 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Beziers

Beauvais airport is about 1½ hours from Paris by bus.

Tickets for the bus, which leaves from Porte Maillot, cost 15€ or not much less than advanced purchase train tickets will cost to Beziers.

www.aeroportbeauvais.com/bus.php?lang=fr

Paris, France
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Beziers

You chose the worst choice possible, it will take longer and be much more expensive than rail or a flight from Orly: you need to pay Orly to Porte Maillot taxi, bus to Beauvais, transportation from Montpellier to Beziers.

Oh, and Ryanair charges 25 euros each way for carry on luggage.

Ft. Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Beziers

Well, ok then. Sounds like we still have some decisions to make. Thanks so much, everyone!

Steve - Tickets are booked and we arrive at Orly at 10 am, Open Skies Arilines. We are hoping that we won't have to check baggage but we won't know for sure until we get to packing. I hate to be a cliche but there are 2 women in my group (myself included) and we are on a 2 week trip so carry-ons may not be entirely possible. We are going to try!! I hate waiting at baggage claim.

Anyway, I will look for some flights from Orly and if that is cost prohibitive, we will stick with the train.

I can't thank everyone enough for your input, help and ideas!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Beziers

Crazy - are you flying in the new economy section of Open Skies or in one of the other sections? Are you flying from Texas to Newark on another airline - i.e. you have two separate tickets?

I'd love to hear about your flight when you get back and routing.

Beziers is so beautiful -- I was there several years ago. I took the train but was in the south of France. As others have said, making that 12 pm train might be difficult. You might want to check out when the next train is....

Ft. Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Beziers

Kitty - We are flying in the new Eco section. We booked the trip a while back and got a great deal. It was only $15 more than a flight on another airline so with additional leg room, we thought we'd try it. Our ticket includes our flight from Dallas to Newark. The flight is codeshared with British Airlines, I believe. It was really easy to book through Cheapoair, one of my favorite sites for ticket deals.

We are beyond excited about our trip and spending a day in Beziers. The pictures I've found are GORGEOUS! Once done there, we are heading to Port Cassafieres to pick up our boat for our Canal du Midi adventure. Only 79 days to go. Can you tell that I'm excited?!