We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Visite or t+ tickets

KL
Level Contributor
192 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Visite or t+ tickets

We are planning to spend 3+1 days in Paris. The first day includes arrival at the Eurostar main train station and the +1 day is the morning journey to Paris CDG airport.

Would like to ask if it is better to get the Pass or t+ tickets for two adult and 2 children (12 & 10). The older child has pass his birthday for the year, so not sure if he is considered an adult or children on the Pass.

Our plan for the visits is as follows:

Day 1: Train station - Hotel (within zone 1) - Eiffel tower and Arc de Triumph and Louvre Museum - Hotel

Day 2: Versaille + city for shopping

Day 3: Disneyland

Day 4: Hotel-CDG Airport.

The 5 days visite pass seems to be too expensive. But given the length of the journey (outside zone 1-3) for days 2, 3 and 4 it may not be economical for using t+ tickets.

Please advise. Thanks

Day 4

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

Your 12-year old will not qualify for the child Paris Visite and neither child qualifies for reduced price t+ tickets.

You cannot use t+ tickets for journeys to Versailles, Disney, or CDG.

You can find point-to-point fares for Paris to Versailles, Disney, and CDG.

In order to determine which tickets will be more economical for you, you'll have to do the math.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

Your day 1 seems a bit too ambitious, you will need to get from the eurostar to your hotel, eat lunch, then eiffel tower line is long to get up and the louvre is huge. You'll probably end up shopping on the way so I wouldn't reserve half a day for that.

KL
Level Contributor
192 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

@Slashoc: it does sounds ambitious. We do not plan to go up the Eiffel tower. We not sure yet on going in Louvre as we are not so much art museum lover. But the iconic pyramid in front of it is worth taking pictures. Or I can move this the day after

@djkbooks: looking at the rtf website, t+ can be used to go to Versaille and Disneyland except it uses more than 1 t+ tickets (since it is transferable between metro/RER). That much I know, but as to the details of how many tickets to be used, it is quite confusing. Does the 10 trip ticket booklet (carnet) can be use between the group member (just like in spain) or is it individual?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

The first day has way too much stuff crowded in.

Individual tickets are more economical than Paris Visite, the latter being mainly a tourist trap. You'll need specific tickets for Disneyland and Versailles, anyway (a Paris Visite covering these destinations would be even more overpriced). Take a taxi from the hotel to the airport.

The packs of ten tickets can be shared among everyone. I'm not aware of any scheme that uses multiple ordinary t+ tickets to get to Versailles. Can you point me to the Web page where you saw this?

Edited: 28 June 2012, 14:26
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

A Carnet is a set of 10 individual tickets so you can share them between you. Although they are transferrable between the metro and RER, this only applies within the administrative Paris area, roughly the area of the Metro system. Beyond that, to Verseille, Disneyland and the airport you have to get a separate ticket.

You can get a carnet of tickets at the Information Desk in the departure area at St Pancras station before you board the Eurostar. They may, depending on the exchange rate, be marginally more expensive than in Paris but are easy to buy and it means that you would not have to queue up at the ticket office at Gare du Nord. It may also be a way of using up any left over £'s and you have a bit of dead time there anyway.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

<<looking at the rtf website, t+ can be used to go to Versaille and Disneyland except it uses more than 1 t+ tickets>>

I am rather familiar with all that is written on the ratp.fr website and I have never seen this or anything like it written anywhere on the website for transportation outside of the service area of the metro except for taking the bus to CDG (and not the Roissybus which is 10€).

Exactly where, on the ratp website, are you referring to using multiple tickets t+ to reach Versailles or Disney?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

you are setting yourself up for a major fine if you get on the RER in Paris and go to Versailles with a t+ ticket. you can get on the train with one, but you won't be able to get off if there is an exit turnstile and if an inspector asks to see your ticket, you will be out 100 Euro on the spot (or thereabouts). odds are very high that the conductor on the train will ask for your ticket.

a t+ ticket is only valid in Paris. you cannot use several to go further. Think about it -- how would that work?

you will need a specific Versailles ticket or ticket for the Disneyland stop from Paris -- or a pass that includes 5 zones for Disneyland. I think it is 3 zones for Versailles.

if you actually got this wildly inaccurate information on a web site, I'd suggest not using that web site for any other information as it is run by incompetents.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

"We do not plan to go up the Eiffel tower. We not sure yet on going in Louvre as we are not so much art museum lover. But the iconic pyramid in front of it is worth taking pictures."

I find it's really a shame to be at these places and just scratch the surface, going there for a short while and just to be able to say you've seen it and take photos.

I know you're travelling with a kid and you want to (and should!) make the trip enjoyable for him too, but there are other options besides Disneyland in Paris itself. I'm thinking of the Jardin d'Acclimatation, you won't take 1 hour each way to get there (it's central), it's less expensive (though it can add up, it's pay per ride); and you don't need to spend your full day there, 2 hours is enough. That way you can see more of Paris.

Same thing with Versailles, it's great but do you really want to spend 2 hours in public transport, 2 hours during which you could do/see so much in Paris as you have very little time...

KL
Level Contributor
192 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

Sorry, I may have confused myself with loads of Paris transportation research. However, I do find the website link explaining how to go to Versailles by bus as follows. Do let me know if this can be trusted.

parisbytrain.com/how-to-get-to-chateau-de-ve…

One of the main reasons to go to Paris is to visit Versailles (my husband is a big fan of history and castles) so we will spend loads of time there. As for Disneyland, we have promised the children to spend a day there, as we had to scrap the original plan to go to Disneyland Florida due to time constraints. Plus the nearest Disneyland to my homeland is Hong Kong and it is very small.

I'll do the math for all the tickets. Mobilis ticket sounds nice as well for day 1 when I only cover the city.

Thanks for all the help.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Visite or t+ tickets

I see no reason not to trust the parisby website. It simply stating that you use one ticket t+ for the metro to reach Pont de Sèvres and another for the bus to reach Versailles. You can use the metro/RER to arrive at the same place, and probably a lot faster by purchasing a ticket specifically for the RER C5, Versailles Rive Gauche for 4€.

If your husband is a big fan of châteaux and history, he might find these locations of interest which are usually much less crowded than is Versailles:

_____

Vaux-le-Vicomte

http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/

Open from March 15th to November 9th from 10.00 am to 06.00 pm, last admission at 5.30 pm

RER D to Melun

_____

Fontainebleau

http://www.fontainebleau-tourisme.com/

Take SNCF train from Gare de Lyon to Fontainebleau-Avon in the direction of Montargis Sens and disembark at Gare de Fontainebleau Avon

Fare 9.40€

En route time 1+02

http://www.transilien.com

From Gare de Fontainebleau-Avon, take Aérial bus line A to Château

Fare: 1.40€

Buses every 15 mintues.

Entrance fee: 8€

Students: 6€

Free entry the first Sunday of each month

Entrance plus one hour guided tour (in French only): 11€

_____

Chantilly