We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

We are a cpl from NYC in our mid-30's wanting to stay for 3 nights in mid August prior to our extended trip to Nice and are torn with these two choices of hotels in Paris. Both hotels have balconies which is preferred. We want to stay in an area with a Parisian feel and near cafe's, restaurants and bars that locals go to. We are ok to walk a little further than most to get to the popular sites and will utilize the metro as much as we can because it is excellent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Houston
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

For a short visit, I'd go with the Hotel Europe Saint Severin. Great location, near the Seine, Notre Dame, lots of restaurants, etc.

Canal Fulton, Ohio
Level Contributor
351 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

My exact same dilemna. We are staying 5 days, and also considering the Hotel Britanique and Beaurbourg. Just don't want to make the wrong call.

I'd book the Orient in a second if it was located closer to the Seine and Latin Quarter. The price there is very reasonable.

I'm a little leary on the Europe Saint Severin, mostly because it may be a little 'too' hectic for 5 days.

Perhaps I'll stay2 in one and 3 in the other!

Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

I see the dilemma. New Orient is such a good price and Saint Severine has such good location.

I'm going to start pulling my hair out soon with regards to hotels. Thankfully I've already booked one but I really don't like it. I like the location and price and that's where it stops.

Britannique is having work done to the façade of the building in August and September (not sure what your dates are).

Canal Fulton, Ohio
Level Contributor
351 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

Fortuneately, my dates are for our 20th wedding anniversary in June of 2013. Which just means I've got that much more time to agonize over it! Which hotel did you opt for, if I may ask?

The Orient not only has the right price, I think it surpasses all of them as far as favorability. Other than just TA reviews, I've done extensive searches here and it seems everyone agrees on this one, and the Britiannique, though the latter is a bit higher.

Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

After agonising a lot over many hotels (and considering apartments up until today ) I am now trying to book with the Britannique. I say try because I booked over the phone. The very nice receptionist sounded young and inexperienced though. I asked her to confirm my booking in writing, but so far, nothing.

I already emailed them again and still waiting. I need to know because if there is a problem I want to go to Saint Severin and according to their web site they only have one room left....aaaaaargh.

Canal Fulton, Ohio
Level Contributor
351 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

If you get the Britainnique, do share your review if you could.

I'm starting to lean more toward the hectic Latin Quarter, mainly because after our 5 days in Paris, we have a Normandy cottage on a farm for a week. This way we can experience both the excitement and the solitude.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

We've stayed at the New Orient several times but not since 2004 so I can't comment on the hotel but the location turned out to be really nice IMHO. It's a charming part of Paris and very near rue de Levis, an excellent market street. It's also a quick walk to Parc Monceau and Gare St. Lazare for métro connections. The area is really pleasant and off the tourist map.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
378 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

Hotel Europe Saint Severin is in a great location as far as being close to the Seine however beware that it is noisy at night and the balcony is very small. If I recall the balcony is not one to sit on. It is a very touristy area.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,644 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

I also like the New Orient (have been in to see) and am planning on staying there one of these days. It's close to lots of stuff, including shopping, smaller museums, the old opera house isn't too far ..the mentioned market street rue de Lévis for treats, etc.

Europe St-Séverin is fine too but the street can be noisy, you might want to ask for a higher floor. And avoid the tourist trap eateries on surrounding streets (rue de la Huchette, rue de la Harpe) that get quite crowded, mainly with tourists.

10. Re: Hotel New Orient vs. Hotel Europe Saint Severin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 14:46