We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute side trip?

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Last minute side trip?

We've been here for a week, done all the standard tourist stuff including Versailles, and pushed our daughter around in a wheelchair and dealt with Paris taxis. The two daughters are leaving tomorrow at 10 a.m. for their return. We have one additional day, a Sunday, in Paris. We are both pretty tired - hubby's done the pushing and we would like to do something relaxing, but not just sitting in a cafe watching people.

We were thinking about a Champagne tour, but it starts too early and it seems you really have to book ahead. And we cannot get started until 10.

Any suggestions? We are in our early 60's so keep that in mind, please.

The Green Way
Sightseeing Tours
Hit the Road
Literary, Art & Music Tours
Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Last minute side trip?

I couldn't imagine spending my last day in Paris somewhere else, so unfortunately, nothing comes to mind. I usually like to do a leisurely day of shopping on my last day, picking up some souvenirs for both myself and people back home.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Last minute side trip?

We did the shopping thing today...all day. Well, actually my hubby and I sat on the Champs Elysee this evening, enjoying cocktails, watching people, cars, cars being towed away for parking in the wrong places...oh my...while our daughters supported the Parisian economy!

I guess it's going to rain in the morning, but I don't have it in me to walk through another museum. Most of Paris is not handicap-accessible and we have dealt with a wheelchair for a week. We have one day to do something relaxing, and I'm hoping someone has a good idea.

We usually do more golf and beach vacations, or camping in an RV. This is the first time we've ever visited a foreign country and done "touristy" things every day. We did spend time in parks and cafes, too. But we are "done" with crowds and cabs. Even when we have visited Disney World, we usually have scheduled several days of beach and golf to relax after the craziness. There must be something adult and relaxing here for us.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: Last minute side trip?

Hi there

Is it possible for you to catch a train to Deauville? From there Honfleur. 2 hours from Paris.

Kind Regards

Merran

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Last minute side trip?

you could just visit Reims on your own,at your own time...or Chartres...

Or, head to one of the Paris suburbs maybe - like St. Germain en Laye.

ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Last minute side trip?

why not go to bois de vincennes, take a book, relax, walk a bit, just be.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Last minute side trip?

elleLy, I think that's a great idea - I thought of that too, but forgot to mention it :-) that's probably what I'd do!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Last minute side trip?

How about heading to Luxembourg Garden or one of the other large parks where families head on Sundays? There's Parc Monseau, Butte Chaumont, or even the Place des Vosges. You might be able to pick up some picnic supplies and nab a bench to enjoy a nice lunch.

I'm not sure if you are still with a wheelchair, but if not, you might walk the Promenade Plantée, which starts just behind the Opera Bastille. Its an elevated walkway that goes all the way to the Chateau Vincennes. You could métro/bus or even taxi back if the walk back seems daunting. You'll see another part of Paris altogether.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Last minute side trip?

For a nice Sunday lunch

la-guinguette-de-neuilly.com/english/restaur…

or Brunch

http://www.orestaurant.fr/

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Last minute side trip?

Thank you all for your ideas. I'll check them out and make a decision.

We are just a couple minutes away from Parc Monceau and I saw just a bit of it so that's a low-key option if I don't come up with a better plan. Not a great idea if it's going to rain, though. Oh well, my brain will be less fuzzy after coffee.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Last minute side trip?

We have decided to visit the Arc de Triomphe and go to the top - we couldn't do that with the wheelchair, so we never went inside. We will eat lunch on the way.

On the way back, we'll stroll through the Parc Monceau. Then we'll go back to our apartment and relax a bit. We booked a last minute dinner cruise on Bateaux Parisien for tonight. I haven't seen the ET fully illuminated - my hubby did, because he and my other daughter did an evening Segway tour. So now I'll get to see the Paris lights.

This is a good plan that won't wear us out.

Again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions.