We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Paris - trip report

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Paris - trip report

Hi all,

we have just returned from our trip which included 5 nights in Paris followed by 4 nights touring the battlefields around Iepier and Cambrai and the area around Villers Bretonneux. Thanks to all who have asked and answered questions on the Paris forums it was all very useful thankyou.

Our report on the Paris days are finally done! Phew. Due to length and copyright issues and inclusion of photos, I publish my reports on a blogsite. Links are provided below. I have also placed this list of links on the trip report sticky thread.

Day one we take the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris and see a performance of Gregorian Chants and medieval music at Notre Dame

…blogspot.com.au/2012/04/day-22-amsterdam-to…

Edited: 07 May 2012, 14:59
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

Day two we visit Sainte Chapelle, Le Conciergerie, take a cruise with Vedettes du Pont Neuf and see How to Become Parisian in One Hour.

…blogspot.com.au/2012/04/day-23-sainte-chape…

Day three is taken up by Musee de l'Orangerie, Les Arts decoratifs, Musee de Louvre and dinner at Le Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower.

…blogspot.com.au/2012/04/day-24-musee-de-lor…

Day four we get out of town and pay a visit to Fontainebleau, dinner on Le Calife cruise along the Seine

…blogspot.com.au/2012/05/day-25-chateau-de-f…

Day five: Chateau de Versaille; Pont Alexander III, Ave Winston Churchill and the Champs Elysees. Arc De Triomphe, dinner at Tarmac

…blogspot.com.au/2012/05/day-26-chateau-de-v…

Our sixth day sees an early morning departure by train for Calais to join our tour of the battlefields over the days surrounding Anzac Day.

regards Snodge.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed these reports as much as the ones you did on London. It's strange about Lady Jane Grey, I was sure I'd seen that painting in the National Gallery and not at the Louvre. Is this it - nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/paul-delaro… -or is there another one?

I found it very moving too.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

Hi afds,

I'm glad you have continued to enjoy the reports. :o)

yes it is the same painting from the National Gallery in London. They mentioned that on the signage for the painting in the Louvre but they weren't explicit about how long it is to be at the Louvre. The painting certainly grabs your attention. i cannot recall a painting that was more beautifully executed. ... oh... groan.. no pun intended!

:o)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

Hopefully it is not on loan long! I was hoping to see it again in London in about 5 weeks from now, but thankfully I will be in Paris shortly after and am happy to be able to view it there! It is a most striking work of art. Most definitely one of my favorites from the LDN National Gallery!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

Enjoyed reading your very detailed reports. Feel exhausted just reading them! LOL!

So glad you had a lovely time despite the cold.

Denise

Love from Bolton

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

so glad you've started posting again ... for a while I was worried that you'd run out of energy as your trip reports are so detailed ... what really brings them to life is that you record your feelings and not just a tick list of places you've visited ... I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more instalents on your blog

how long have you beene back home ... hope the return to "normality" is not too big a jolt

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

Hi everyone and thanks for the contact and feedback I do appreciate it.

Caz, once I got to the battlefields our time was well and truly occupied with group things and got just hopelessly behind. I also wanted to just focus on where we were and not be constantly jotting notes and losing sleep staying up journalling. Now we're back home though, I'm trying to do the best I can to capture how it was at the time before it all fades too much. It's very difficult doing the battlefields stuff though. haha no notes to speak of haha and it's so hard to even decide how you feel let alone put it into words. I hope they turn out OK.

We've been home a couple of days and fairly occupied with family things and gatherings meals and so on.. but between that I'm beavering away!

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

keep beavering, not only are a lot of people going to appreciate reading it but I'm envious of the fantastic record you're going to have for yourself ... when I look thru my photos I often remember snippets of what I did and how I felt that day, but your blog is really going to make the memories flood back

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

Hi caz,

You're so right about the memories. I record so much because I have found when I went through scanning all my parent's photos that they can't remember most of what is in them. Mum is not even remotely demented and 56 years later she can barely remember what she did on her honeymoon, let alone identify what the photos are actually of or where they were taken! I figure that as well as for myself, when I'm dead and gone, hopefully the kids and descendants will get something out of my journals.... my grandmother travelled around quite a lot. I would love to have something like that from her. ... now I just have to produce a more future friendly version... sigh...

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights in Paris - trip report

future friendly? ... ah, now that's a subject in an age where technology is redundant so quickly ... maybe you should write it all on vellum, that's stood the test of ages ... you've got plenty of sheep in Oz, get stretching those skins !!

by the way, on the subject of cats in Ieper, I was reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ypres

see the ancient bit under "Origins to World War I" about cats and the Cloth Hall, then the modern bit under "Events" and the Cat Parade ... if they have it every 3 years then it should be this coming weekend

Edited: 09 May 2012, 07:40