We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rue Caulaincourt?

Alaska
Level Contributor
815 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Rue Caulaincourt?

I found an apartment with great amenities and I was wondering if anyone had experience renting apartments or living on Rue Caulaincourt? Does the area have a nightlife (i.e. restaurants open late, people out and about, though I am not looking for nightclubs or anything like that)? Is it considered a typical French neighbourhood? Is it touristy? Are there plenty of places to buy groceries? Would you recommend it as a good neighborhood for a single female in her 20's (again, I am not a partier, would rather have a safe place to stay) on her first visit to Paris for a month?

Edited: 28 April 2012, 12:41
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

Rue Coulaincourt is my second most favourite street in Montmartre. A lovely street in a lovely neighbourhood - lovely village feel. I travel solo and am happy wandering around this area - although I'm not out late at night anywhere. When I've gone out to the supermarket at night, there were little old couples, Mum knitting, Dad reading the newspaper, and little chien sniffing. See the film Amelie. Little supermarkets, fruit and vegie shops, bakers, etc. I promise you will love it. Google it on maps

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

It's everything that Dale says it is. It's safe and lovely. The only downside I'd point out is, if this is your first trip to Paris, it will mean a 15-20 commute each way on the métro to the many tourist sites you'll want to visit. You won't be walking to anything other than Sacré Coeur and around the neighborhood. You'll have to figure out if you're okay with that.

Alaska
Level Contributor
815 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

A short commute such as that isn't much of a sacrifice to me if everything else with the apartment and neighborhood is perfect. Thanks for mentioning it though, as those are just the sorts of things I need to know!

I do have the choice of another apartment a little north of the Louvre, but it doesn't have amenities such as a stovetop, fridge, computer, or dryer...all of which could be important for a month long stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22,386 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

15-20 minutes is a very optimistic notion of time into town -- think of it more as an hour round trip -- you have to get to the metro, wait for the next train, probably switch trains at an intermediate stop -- if you are there for a week or more, it is not a big deal but this is not at all central

That said, Rue Caulaincourt is a wonderful area -- beautiful street but in easy range of cafes, nice restaurants, the livelier parts of Montmartre. My favorite Montmartre walk begins at Lamarck Caulaincourt metro and winds up Caulaincourt and then up towards Sacre Couer. Very charming area. Caulaincourt is not unusually noisy (it isn't a party street) but it is a main drag and therefore has significant traffic noise and double glazed windows are a plus. We have rented on this street and loved the area.

For a month long stay you need a complete kitchen and a dryer is an enormous plus. And for a month you couldn't do better for an area than Rue CAulaincourt.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 19:24
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

I would much prefer rue Caulaincourt to north of the Louvre.

We've stayed in the 14th and 17th and very much enjoy the ride to/from mornings and evenings, and we use the buses which take longer than the metro.

An extra 20 or 30 minutes enjoying the scenery isn't very long. What's the rush?

If you do stay there, consider using the buses. Have a look at routes 80 and 85. Riding underground, you miss all the scenery, neighborhoods, opportunity to hop off in and interesting/appealing neighborhood along the way.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,552 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

I think taking the metro is all part of the Paris experience. And the neighborhood is great. I'd stay there in a heart beat.

Alaska
Level Contributor
815 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your input. I like the areas that have enough going on that I can enjoy walking around after I finish a late dinner or I can peek out my window to view activity on the street, but also not a bad sort of activity that makes me feel unsafe.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

A brief view of the street here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLYXH6fE_rU#t=14m36s

Alaska
Level Contributor
815 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

I will definately be checking out that video! The computer I am working on at the moment doesn't allow video.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
444 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rue Caulaincourt?

Thanks for the video, Euromanic!

Next trip I will definitely walk rue Caulincourt.

I don't usually go to Montmartre due to the stairs and hilly

climbs but this seems a wonderfull area to walk.