We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

We are considering renting an apartment one block off of the Champs de Mars in the 6th or a couple of options in the 3d, near the Parc du Temple or the Musée des Arts et Métiers. Would any of you helpful TA members be able to offer the pros and cons of these areas for a short stay in early October? My husband would prefer an area where we can walk to many cafés, bistrots, restos and markets. Thanks very much!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

A block off the Champs de Mars would be in the 7th.

From anywhere in Paris, you can walk to cafés, bistrots, markets, etc. The specific location of the property determines how far a walk.

Do you have the addresses?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

If it truly is the 7th (as djk points out, the Champs de Mars is in the 7th) and not the 6th, it's generally considered a quiet area. Not to say there aren't any restaurants, just not as many as you'd find in most areas of the 3rd. Both areas would be fine for a short visit; there are street markets in both areas as well.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

7th! Yes, I meant 7th! I must have had a brain malfunction.

The addresses are 7 Cité du Petit Thouars and 50 Rue Volta in the 3d and 42 Ave. Charles Floquet in the 7th.

Thanks to bothnof you for this and all your helpful posts on TA!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

The area in the 7th is pretty tame. For me, I'd be sad to come all the way to Paris and be so far from the action. The 3rd is fun and trendy and much more in line with my personal tastes.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

Love the 3rd, stayed there many times and have never been disappointed. Walked to everything.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

My choice would be the one in the 7th.

Not only is it in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, it's a block from avenue de Suffren lined with cafés, restaurants, food shopping...and it's only a few blocks from the wonderful Saxe-Breteuil market (Thursdays and Saturdays).

For a visit of only four nights, that's where I'd stay.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

Many thanks to you all. You have no idea how much your generous offers of advice and information enhance our visits to France.

In the end, I voted for the 7th; my husband voted for the 3d. Phread's post tugged at my heart so the 3d it is!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

I think you have made the right Remember you can "see" the Eiffel Tower from many points in Paris, being right next door isn't nessesary,, you most likely will visit it only once right?

10. Re: Pros & Cons of 6th v. 3d Apt. Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:47