We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

San Diego
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

I found a great TGV fare from Bordeaux to Paris, but I want to make sure we have time to get to get to Gare du Nord to get back to London.

TGV arrives from Bordeaux at 7:25 p.m. at Gare Montparnasse. Eurostar leaves Gare du Nord at 8:43 p.m.

I'm assuming a taxi is the quickest way, given other posts on the forum about the long walk to the metro. If, however, metro is faster, we'd take that.

Are we cutting it too close?

Thanks!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
684 Reviews
from US$ 74.00*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
743 Reviews
from US$ 48.10*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,283 Reviews
from US$ 111.60*
paris
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

TGV arrives from Bordeaux at 7:25 p.m. at Gare Montparnasse. Eurostar leaves Gare du Nord at 8:43 p.m.

That's plenty of time.

You can take line 12 to St Lazare and then RER line E to Magenta (it is one stop),

Just follow info to gare du Nord. It also gives info to gare de l'Est as it is in the same area.

You can do this in 30-45 min if all goes well.

San Diego
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

Thank you, photographer!

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

Just take metro line 4, it's direct and usually takes under half an hour. No changing and plenty of time to walk to train platforms either end.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

<<Just take metro line 4, it's direct and usually takes under half an hour. No changing and plenty of time to walk to train platforms either end.>>

FYI: The distance from the Metro line 4 platform to the Grand Ligne platform is probably the longest underground walk you can take in the entire Metro system, several blocks actually. With luggage in tow, I'd prefer to take a cab.

Alternative might be RER line B to Denfert-Rochereau and a change to line 6 to Gare Montparnasse will put you near the Grand ligne platforms with a lot less walking underground

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

Uh... actually.... reverse that itin.

Paris (20th)
Level Contributor
842 posts
6. Re: How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

Sorry, that was me not ptegan earlier - I'm not as familiar with Montparnasse metro links but they do have moving walkways and the walk from RER E at Magenta to the Eurostar is quite a trek as well. IMHO, for those not used to the metro/RER not having to change counts for a lot.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: How long to get to Gare du Nord from Gare Montparnasse?

Just move it when you get there. They close checkin for the Eurostar 30 minutes prior to departure. In case you arent familiar with Gare du Nord the Eurostar checkin is in a special area upstairs above the platforms and main entrance.