We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

Lisboa
2 posts
Save Topic
Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

Hello.

Iôm staying in Paris four days, with my wife, from 11th to 14th of March. My hotel is near Ecole Militaire metro station. Our flight lands on Carles de Gaulle airport (Terminal 3).

My doubt is: what transport should I take to get to the hotel? Should I take the Roissy Bus to the Opera and then the subway, Ligne 8 to Ecole Militaire? Or the RER, ligne B, to Chatelet, and then Ligne 7 to Opera, and then Ligne 8 to Ecole Militaire?

Which one should be the less expensive?

Another question? Should we buy the orange passes? It seems to be the more adequate for the period of time we will spend visiting this wonderful city.

Thanks for the answers,

Mike

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

Boa tarde Mike,

Costwise, it should be the same, but it's better to take the bus, since there it would only mean one change for you, at Opéra, vs two with the RER. Be aware that when you get at Opéra with the bus, it would be tempting to just cross the street and get in the métro at the rue Scribe entrance. But it gives you access to line 3 (with a connection possibility of course), and there are no ticket buying possibilities, so beware.

As for Carte orange, you are staying Saturday to Tuesday, so since the weekly pass is only Mon to Sun, it would be useless. Better stick to carnet.

Bemvindo em Paris!

USA
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

To begin with, in order to use a CARTE ORANGE weekly transportation pass between CDG and central Paris you would need to purchase one vaild for Zones 1-5. But that probaly won't matter to you because A) you can't purchase a CO for the currunt week on your Saturday day of arrival and the weekly CO pass for the return wouldn't become valid until Monday AM. So the Carte Orange pass is pretty much a non-starter for your particular itinerary.

Since your hotel is located near the ECOLE MILITAIRE Metro station, you best and most direct routing will be via ROISSYBUS (8,30 €--no onward Metro fare included---pick-up point is just outside of CDG #3 arrival section exit) to its terminus near Place de la Opera (at the intersection of rue Scribe & rue Auber), then down the block to the entrance to the OPERA Metro station and purchase either CARNETs (booklets of 10 reduced priced tickets) MOBILIS passes (one-calandar day transportation pass) of PARIS VISITÉ multi-day transportation passes. Then take the #8 Metro ligne (heading in the direction of Balard) to ECOLE MILITAIR.

Given the location of your hotel, the RER 'B' to Saint Michel-Notre Dame, switching to the RER 'C' to Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel, leaves you with a longish walk to your hotel. The fare for the RER 'B' (Roissyrail---which includes onward Metro connections--fare 8 €) is a bit less but the RER'B' + Metro connections are just too 'clunky' for your location.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
900 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

I agree with the Roissy bus option. I did it last April when staying near Ecole Militaire. Easy and inexpensive.

I've also taken the RER when it(one of the stops) was near my hotel or when it involved one metro line(love that free transfer!) But I'd try to limit the number of transfers after a flight!

Brasil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
884 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

Mike2001,

My family and I, three people, stayed at rue Montessuy which is near Ecole Militaire. We took the Roissybus to the Opera and then we got a taxi to our apartment. We paid 12 euros for the ride (from the Opera to rue Montessuy). I think it is worth getting a taxi if you have lots of luggage.

Carte Orange for you will be only available for two days - 13th and 14th. Perhaps those carnets are the best option.You also can check other alternatives at http://www.ratp.fr/.

Boa Viagem

Lisboa
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

Thank you for your great and kind advises, all of you.

I'll stick with the carnets, then.

I have only another issue. What about this choice: RER to Gare du Nort; then Ligne 4 to Strasbourg-Saint-Denis; then Ligne 8 to Ecole Militaire. According to the RATP simulator is faster than the bus. Is it possible?

Obrigado,

Mike

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
900 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

I guess it depends on the time of day. I've run into traffic with the bus, but then again there could be RER delays. Plus the time you are going to lose with the metro correspondances, some of them can involve long passageways and stairs.

And the time is also important as to whether or not the hotel rooms will be available. Why rush if you have to wait for the room? Sure I can kill time having a cafe, scoping out a place to buy wine and water(and doing so!) but I prefer to get into the room, unpack, and refresh first!

And I always buy carnets. And ususally bring tickets home for next time. Walking is so convenient and seductive unless the weather is awful!

USA
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

>>>I have only another issue. What about this choice: RER to Gare du Nort; then Ligne 4 to Strasbourg-Saint-Denis; then Ligne 8 to Ecole Militaire. According to the RATP simulator is faster than the bus. Is it possible?<<<

In theory, I suppose it could be. Trains are unencumbered by the vagaries of traffic, BUT in practice it would probably take as long (perhaps even a bit longer). What isn't factored in to RATP Itineraire calculations is the time it really takes someone wholy unfamiliar with the system or the stations to find and make the necessary Correspondence/Transfers between lignes and the average '..wait times..' between trains.

Our own prefered mode of transfer from CDG to our hotel in Paris involves the RER 'B' ligne as far as Gare du Nord and then TAXI PARISIEN from the regular rank outside the station, across Paris, to our hotel---which provides us with a combination of efficiency, cost and the pleasure of seeing Paris as soon as possible. More often than not, the taxi route takes us through the arches of the Richelieu and Denon wings of the Louvre , past the Cour Napoleon/Arc de Carousel, across the Seine with a view of the Eifel Tower and a ride down Blvd. Saint Germain to our hotel....the best of all worlds...for us.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

Along KDK's line of RER + taxi, you could take the RER to Luxembourg, get out to the taxi rank there and take a cab to your hotel, it should be less than €10, all included. This combination would probably be the quickest one and involving the least luggage dragging in the métro corridors.

wrb
paris
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

Here's the best RER way: RER B to St. Michel- then RER C to Pont de l'Alma- You are left off about 4/5 big blocks from Ecole Militaire- If it's too much of a hike you can jump on any bus going up Ave. Bosquet away from the river. (About 55 minutes... The metro change-over only prolongs the journey.)

USA
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ecole Militaire - How to get there from Charles de Gaulle

>>> RER + taxi, you could take the RER to Luxembourg, get out to the taxi rank there and take a cab to your hotel<<<

It's only from casual observation but it has always seemed to me that there is a greater frequency of taxis waiting and available at the SAINT MICHEL-NOTRE DAME exits of the 'B' ligne (directly across from Notre Dame) than at LUXEMBOURG....but then the observations were made in-passings and scarcely definitive. The usual taxi route from Saint Michel-Notre Dame would probably be a bit longer and cost a couple of €uro more...but would most likely take you west along the Left Bank of the Seine to Invalides or Pont de l'Alma (a short but lovely ride) before turning off south into the 7eme to the neighborhood of ECOLE MILITAIRE.