We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

Boston...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

Hi,

Can someone tell me which are the places I can buy relatively inexpensive Paris Souvenirs? And in your opinion, what are the souvenirs you think i absolutely must have?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,255 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

I'm not much for souvenirs myself but our guests always ask that question. I'd recommend you avoid buying ANY souvenirs off the street. There are scores of street vendors around the Eiffel Tower and at most of the big attractions who spread their blanket on the pavement and ceaselessly bark at you to buy. Avoid them. There are plenty of shops that sell souvenirs of higher quality and better prices. Try blvd. du Palais on Ile de la Cité or Rue St. Martin near the Pompidou Center.

An alternative to the nickel-plated Eiffel Tower statues can be found all along the river banks in Paris. The vendors who sell their wares out of "boites" (boxes) hanging from the walls along the quais offer some unique stuff that you won't find anywhere else. Historical maps, etched prints, theater playbills from the turn of the century, books, and much more. That's the first place I take guests and they usually find more than they set out for.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

I would have said on the Ferry to Calais but since you live in the USA I don't think you will be catching that.

The gift sho in the Eiffel tower is expensive avoid that pencils are about 50-70 cents (some thing like that). Disneyland isn't too bad for little things but other things can be very expensive there.

Little quiet shops aren't bad either I can't name them speciffically but just try a few if they are high prices you can always walk out again.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

There are some fun shops with trinkets of all sorts near La Place du Tertre (Montmartre), also some in the Latin Quarter. It just depends on what you're looking for and what quality...but I don't think you'll have a problem finding souvenir shops.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

Around the les Halles area you can find some cheap music/movie shops. The movies won't work in the US, but the music is great and you can get some great classic French tunes to keep as a souvenir of your trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

Most museum will have a shop were you could buy some postcards of your favorite works. Once your are back in Milwaukee you could find nice frames for little money and voilà a nice souvenir.

USA
Level Contributor
26,653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

"..Ground Zero..' for '..trash & trinkets..' souvenirs in Paris will be across from the Louvre, in the shops along the rue de Rivoli. If there's one single item that you must purchase, it will be one of the many replicas of the Eiffel Tower. I'm not sure that the authorities will even allow you to leave France unless you can produce one on demand.

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

Along the Rue de Rivoli and in many

shops in the 5th close to the Seine.

Many street markets have stalls with

souvenirs as do the bouquinistes

along the walls by the Seine (big green

metal boxes).

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

Blaspheme is a tiny shop on the Ile St Louis that has a good number of handmade leather handbags in the latest colors and styles at very reasonable prices. The owner also specializes in "one of kind" costume jewelry, the kind that the French are so good at making (and wearing). There are also scarves, cigarette lighters and makeup mirrors. They also have Eiffel Tower key chains that loks different than those found on Rue Rivoli. I'd say that everything in here is a good value becuase you're going to love and wear what you buy many times over! Blaspheme is primarily a store for women, or for men who enjoy buying nice things for the women in their life. Another bonus: it's open on Sundays. 37 Rue St. Louis en L'Ile

Southern California
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive place to buy Paris Souvenirs

Howdy!

I always hit the shops on Rue de Steinkerque, which is the short two block street you walk up from the (Anvers metro stop) on your way to the base of the funicular to Sacre Coeur. It is shop after shop, after shop, after shop! I like bringing home T-shirts for everyone, 3 for 15 Euro.

lasscass