We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Carbonear, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Hi folks, I wonder if you might be able to help - we arrive in Paris for three days at 9 am at Gard du Nord. We thought we would walk from there to Montmartre for a bit of exploring before checking into our hotel (Opera area). How far a walk should we expect from the train to the Basilica? Is it uphill? If there a preferred route (i.e. more scenic/interesting), and, if not, which route would be shortest? It appears from my map that we will hit Sacre Coeur first and then we hope to explore Place de Tertre, Rue Lepic, etc before heading down to the hotel. Would appreciate any suggestions you having regarding a walking route and places of interest. We plan to spend about 3-4 hours in the area total. I am thinking we will look around Sacre Couer but not necessaily go into the crypt or dome (as we also plan to see Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, and Dome Church during our three-day visit). Thanks so much!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
482 reviews
from US$ 72.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$ 108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
577 reviews
from US$ 46.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$ 332.80*
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Its an easy walk (ive done it), inside 30mins from GdN, (errm, its up hill - "Mont"-Martre!!??)

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

It is a very interesting walk.

If you want a detailed pedestrain route, you can use Mappy:

http://en.mappy.com/

Just click "Itinerary" as your choice, and then click the "pedestrian" dot. You'll get a map and walking directions.

Basically, you will find that it's very easy--just head north from the station on any major street--Mappy "chooses" Bl Magenta. Cross Bl Rochechouart and continue N on Bl Barbes, then left on rue de Sofia. (You are really going to see your destination from here, and then just make your way.)

You will not have an uphill walk until you begin heading toward the Basilique on rue de Sophia, but it is uphill from there, whether by street or stairs. There is a funiculare you can catch at the base:

europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/sacre-c…

In general, exploring Montmartre will be a hilly walk. But you are right--it is then "down" to your hotel.

It is definitely an exploration very worthwhile, and the hilly areas are especially lovely. Get a good walking guide--perhaps "Insight Guides" Paris Step By Step."

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Go to your hotel first... your room is unlikely to be ready (but you may get lucky!) but the hotel will look after your baggage for you. I wouldn't want to pull even my 22 inch roll a board around Montmartre for long! ;^)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Easy and interesting walk through ethnic Paris.

Way back when, I named this thread "An Ethnic Itinerary in Paris from Gare du Nord to Montmartre" !

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

I agree. Ditch the luggage first. 3-4 hours even with a good backpack is not something you really need. With ordinary luggage it would constitute cruel and unusual punishment. The alternative would be to leave the luggage at Gare du Nord but then you would only have to go back to retrieve it.

Carbonear, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Wow, you folks are awesome! Thanks so much! DH and I are travelling with DD (age 8) and with backpacks only (3 days worth of stuff). I think when we get to the hotel, we will want to stay there and not return to Montmartre, due to 1/ having so much else to see and 2/admittedly, being tired and too lazy to climb back up. We will play it by ear I guess - see as much of the area as possible and if we need to cut it short we can get oursleves settled at the hotel and then if time allows, travel by metro or bus back to the area. We hope to do Louvre later that evening so we don't want to tire ourselves out too quickly. I suspect we'll get a couple of hours at Montmartre, then to hotel for a rest/bite to eat, then off to Tuilleries. Thanks again for your input on this. Love this site!

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
174 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Yes - with just backpacks - its a great way to get to your hotel - we stay in Montmartre and will walk to and from Gard du Nord

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

If ever you want to divest yourself of some of your stuff and pick it up later, there are lockers at Gare du Nord.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

Especially since you're traveling with a kid, take the advice from parisamsterdam... go to the hotel first, the fastest way you can, leave your stuff and then all the time is yours to explore.

10. Re: Gard de Nord to Sacre Coeur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 10:48