We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foyer accommodation in Paris

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
foyer accommodation in Paris

Not sure if anyone can help but I am 20 year old female student trying to organise accommodation in Paris from Sept to Nov while I do an internship as part of my university course.

I have applied for accommodation in various foyers and the possibilities are:

1. in Rue de la Pointe d’Ivry which is in 13th arrondissement known as Chinatown, on the edge of a pedestrian area not far from the Bibliothèque François Mitterrand. The nearest metro stops are Pointe de Choisy or Pointe d’Ivry and it is also close to Olympiades which I understand is a very quick new train line to the centre of Paris.

2. In Rue de Charonne which is in 11th arrondissement but close to border with 20th arrondissement (nearest metro stops Alexandre Dumas or Charonne). I have been told this is not the greatest area for a girl walking home at night etc

3. I have not yet applied but I have been told there is also a foyer on IIe St Louis which is a great position but It is girls only and has strict rules.

Has anyone stayed in any of these foyers (I have most chance of getting a room in Pointe d’Ivry ).

If so, what are they like?

If you clear it with foyers are you allowed to have friends to stay (eg visitor for weekend?) I understand the foyer on Ile St Louis may have stricter rules.

If anyone has stayed in Pointe d’Ivry, what are the rooms like, are there cooking facilities or do they provide any meals?

Would I be safe walking at night from the metro to Rue de la Pointe d'Ivry?

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,846 Reviews
from US$ 37.60*
US$ 44.20
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$ 110.40*
simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: foyer accommodation in Paris

I am bumping this because I have no idea what "foyer" in this sense means.

Any help?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
188 posts
2. Re: foyer accommodation in Paris

foyer = youth hostel, more-or-less. Perhaps with a more serious or cultural slant.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,994 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: foyer accommodation in Paris

I'm not sure what a "foyer" is either but if you contact the Accommodations Officer or the International Officer of the university you will be attending they will be more than happy to help.

The above mentioned officers will know more than most people about the accommodations and will be able to help you on other levels as well.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
174 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: foyer accommodation in Paris

Does the OP mean "hall" rather than "foyer" as in Halls of Residence? Dunno, just a guess.

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
1 review
5. Re: foyer accommodation in Paris

'foyer' means hostel or hall for students.

Perhaps Deb1_10 is referring to a hostel room or a large dormitory.

Deb,any thoughts?

I think beanalainn has given the best advice.

arvind

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
6. Re: foyer accommodation in Paris

A foyer is low-cost accommodation (like a hostel) intended usually for young people on low incomes, for example students. Rooms are usually let for a period of several weeks or months rather than as short-term holiday accommodation.

I agree that it would be better to contact the University - either their accommodation office or maybe try to make contact with other students via the University website.

7. Re: foyer accommodation in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2011, 11:46