We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

Im taking my fiancee for a weekend away in Paris next month and have heard a lot about boat trips on the river:

- Where do these usually leave from?

- better by day or night?

- better to do the trip with or without dinner/lunch?

- Any reccomendation on companies to go with?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
675 Reviews
from US$ 75.40*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
731 Reviews
from US$ 49.00*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,280 Reviews
from US$ 104.10*
IL, USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

Definitely take a Bateau Mouche. Go in the afternoon. Don't bother with lunch/dinner. It'll be an hour off of your feet and out of the wind AND you'll wind up with amazing photos.

I briefly lived outside of Paris a long time ago and visited with friends in March last year. One of the friends really wanted to do this and it was an excellent idea.

(Sorry if this is a double post. I had signing-in issues.)

Illinois
Level Contributor
436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

The Seine boat tour is a MUST-DO. You gain such a unique perspective on the city--from the water. These are your options: a) the Bateaux Parisiens, near the Eiffel Tower; b) the Bateaux Mouches, near the Alma Bridge; c) the Vedettes du Pont Neuf, near the Pont Neuf bridge. Each tour lasts approximately 1 hour.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
822 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

I think a night cruise would be very romantic. I have don it a few times and have really enjoyed it!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

We just got back yesterday. Last Saturday night we caught the 10:00 pm tour on the "Vedettes du Pont Neuf", near the Pont Neuf bridge. Easy to get to, not very large, and just the right amount of time. The leave every half hour. We were happy we did it. When we reached the Eiffel Tower, I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was so big and beautiful lit up all in blue in the night sky. Take a night time cruise, you will love it!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
129 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

I agree somewhat with the previous poster. We have taken Bateau Mouche 3 times in the last 8 years - all evening/dinner cruises.Each time we did the "Premium" option - meaning you get an upgraded dinner/wine, and sit up in the very front at a nice table. Yes, I know, it may be somewhat expensive - but if you are going to do it then do it right. VERY romantic - particularly with the live music on board. They leave right by the Eiffel Tower - or you can also select (for a small price) to be picked up at your hotel and taken directly to the boat. Have fun.........

Level Contributor
3,512 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

The boat rides offer a neat view of Paris from the river, so I would recommend it if it's your first trip.

I would go with Vedettes du Pont Neuf. They use smaller boats and real people as guides, rather than recordings. If you go to their web site you can get a discount and go for 8 euros.

I would go in the evening so you can see everything lit up. After dinner, I think the last boat leaves at 10:30, so you could have an 8:00 dinner in the Latin Quarter or St. Germain and easily get there in time for departure.

Western Missouri
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

Agree with all those who have posted so far, except I wouldn't, and didn't, take the dinner cruise. Paying attention to food instead of the sights would not be my choice.

I think both night and day have their own beauties.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

I agree with Les... having just returned last week we found that we ended up walking the length of the Seine from the Island, down to the Eiffel Tower, and back via Tuleries etc during the day and we took the Vendette night cruise from Pont Neuf of an evening and enjoyed it! .. we joined up with another couple and all agreed it was definitely the way to go. We noticed people sitting in the dining boats along the bank as we passed but I believe that the view from the open top deck of the Vendette would have been slightly better than the river level view (they had a glass roof and I think if you were sitting in the middle of the restaurant the view would not be as good but I could be wrong) We looked at doing the dinner cruise but decided that we'd rather spend our "food" money at a signature restaurant and do the night cruise instead. The cost was significantly cheaper and we crossed off two "experiences" (river cruise and restaurant experience) for less than the cost of the river cruise with dinner.

9. Re: River Boat Trip- to do or not to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 01:51