We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain too good to be true?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bargain too good to be true?

Recently I've spent aaaages figuring out where I should stay, comparing prices, reading all the reviews checking out the traveller photos of hotels rather than the hotel ones themselves.. In short I've spent so much time trying to find a decent place.

Then I made a decision and went to book a place in the LatinQuarter that on most booking sites has an average price of 150 euro per nite. Anyway when I made the booking I went through Ratestogo.com (because the dates I wanted to book is just under a month away) I used the link on the hotel review page at this site. I was really confused at the quote I got, they were offering double rooms at this place at 13 euro for one night. All the other rooms were at the normal expected prices, it was just the double and ony for this one night/date... I was a bit confused but I booked at the 13 euro price anyway and then paid the standard rate for the next night. I went back just now to see if they were still offering this deal on the same date but the price has changed to the normal rate again.

The question is (because I have no previous experience with booking hotels online):

Is this normal? Do booking sites from time to time give one off last minute style deals for some reason?

Confused (and guilty for getting such a bargain).

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bargain too good to be true?

I recommend you contact the hotel directly, either by email or telephone, and confirm your reservation with them.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bargain too good to be true?

I would expect to be highly challenged in France at expecting an actual room rate of 13€. (the customer is not always right in this culture).

USA
Level Contributor
27,109 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bargain too good to be true?

I suppose that at least theoretically...anything is possible (one day perhaps pigs will fly...and pork chops really will grow on trees)...and this rate for that single night actually is only 13 €...but what're the odds ???...or that there wasn't a typo at the site and the rates is really 130€ ??

You really need to double check with either the site or on-line booking agency??..or the hotel directly??

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
301 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bargain too good to be true?

I've seen these bait and switch type deals when booking hotels, they honor a low rate for one night and charge you full price for the others to even out the average per night stay. I haven't seen it for just two nights stay but I think it could be legitimate.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,972 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bargain too good to be true?

My guess is that it was more likely a typo that was quickly corrected than bait/switch.

Whenever you've booked with a third party, it's a really good idea to confirm directly.

6. Re: Bargain too good to be true?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 17:45