We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Rental location for June?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
18 helpful votes
Apartment Rental location for June?

I have narrowed my search to 2 apartments for our 5 night stay in late June but in 2 different locations. Cost is similar but not sure which location will be better? Both are close to the metro so, ease of travel seems similar...I'll be traveling with 2 first-timers so, we'll be hitting all the "main" sites. I wanted to stay in a bit more "quaint" area but both areas look similar to me on Google Street View.

The options are:

1) Avenue Gobelins

2) Near Faidherbe Chaligny Metro

Any thoughts?

Merci!

8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
205 posts
1. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

There are some really great restaurants in the general neighborhood of Faidherbe Chaligny. You’ll be spoiled for choice.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
6 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

First off, make sure these are legal rentals.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
20 reviews
37 helpful votes
3. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

I agree on Faidherbe Chaligny.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
11 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

Another plus for Faidherbe Chaligny - we stayed pretty much round the corner in rue Crozatier and only discovered this very interesting corner of Paris on our last couple of days. It has a neighbourhood feel with a community garden in rue de Citeaux nearby, painted dinosaur footsteps on the road and just the sense that it has avoided the tourist wave and escaped gentrification and is still in the hands of genuine locals. It is a short walk to the marvellous Aligre market street - altogether a very pleasant corner of Paris to set up base for further exploration. I'd swap that neighbourhood feel for quaint in a flash - quaint seems to have been captured by the high end, unless you are talking Campagne a Paris or the Mouzaia precincts, and they are a long way out and (just a guess) very unlikely to have the accommodation you are looking for.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

So it seems F-C is more popular area with the posters here. I was afraid it may be too much off the beaten path. Though both locations are near the metro, would we feel less central there than the location on Ave Gobelins? As far as getting to the main tourist sites (Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc)?

Merci encore!

san mateo, ca
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
6. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

I just did a quick metro scan, and it appears the metro around the Gobelins location have more direct lines to the central area; it should be noted however, Paris is relatively small and a great walking city and is often the best way to see things..

Boston...
Level Contributor
205 posts
7. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

I think I’d rather stay in a vibrant neighborhood, even if it’s a trade off to being geographically closer to tourist sights. In the evening, it’s nice to have a lot of local restos when your feet are sore from walking all day.

And as Katy said, nowhere in Paris is far so long as you’re near a metro station. Just my two cents...

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
63 reviews
62 helpful votes
8. Re: Apartment Rental location for June?

The area around Gobelins metro is fine. There are plenty of restaurants around there also. I like that area a lot, and as far as I'm concerned, it is just as vibrant. I don't know why people appear to think there are no restaurants around Gobelins. Not to mention weekly markets and it's right near rue Mouffetard, also, for a permanent market streets. And there are gardens around there, also.

None of those areas are "quaint" but I don't know what that means. I'm not sure, I guess maybe you'd call the Ile st Louis sort of quaint.

Reply to: Apartment Rental location for June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted