We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champeval VRBO

2 posts
1 review
Champeval VRBO

Hello All,

A group of parents are considering taking our 16yo daughters to France for the Womans World Cup in June of 2019, (about 14 of us total). We have located a VRBO in Champeval, which seems nice, about 300 M from the Creteil University metro station. Having never been there, just trying to get a feel for the neighborhood. Anyone have experience w this area, or thoughts? Thanks

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,843 Reviews
from US$ 37.90*
US$ 43.70
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
6 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Champeval VRBO

I don't know the neighborhood, but perhaps some of the locals will chime in (MrsFM?).

Here are my thoughts...it's a 25 minute metro ride to the eastern edge of Paris, and an hour to the Eiffel Tower. If I wanted to visit Paris in between tennis matches, I'd want to stay IN Paris.

I Googled the rental in Champeval, and see it has just 3 bathrooms for 14 people, which may be a little tight considering there will be many 16 year old girls! hehe Also, it has no reviews yet, and that's one of my top concerns when choosing a rental. I want to hear how others have fared, and if there are any glaring red flags that previous renters have experienced.

It seems to me the landlord is emphasizing the nicest parts of the rental (the pool, beautiful entry, grand staircase, etc.) but the bedrooms seem a little sparse/hodgepodge and not that nice. Will they have the beds made for guests? LOL

As tempting as this one might be, I think I'd take a pass and try to find something in Paris. You should be able to find hotel rooms for not much more than the nightly rental of this house, and then each family would have their own bathroom.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
2. Re: Champeval VRBO

I was told there was a question for me here and yes, I know the neighborhood and will reply in detail later. :)

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
3. Re: Champeval VRBO

Well, you learn something new every day because even though I have known this neighborhood well for decades, I never knew it was called Champeval! Never even heard the name mentioned unlike other parts of Créteil.

Anyway, yes, it is a fine, quiet middle-class/affluent area but the house is located on the southwestern edge of it and métro Créteil Université feels different, it is a busy junction of main roads, métro and TVM express bus and the areas past the métro are a lot less appealing.

Note that the immediate neighborhood is residential and there will be no night life whatsoever. For grocery shopping, you are a 7 to 8-minute walk to the vibrant and nice market street rue du Général Leclerc in the medieval village. It has a lively square with cafés and large terraces.

For transportation, métro 8 is 20 minutes to Bastille and 40 minutes to Ecole Militaire behind the Eiffel Tower so actually not that bad as it is direct to several tourist sights (Marais, Opéra Garnier, Invalides/ET...). You also have the TVM express bus taking you to RER A in one direction and RER B and Parc de Sceaux in the opposite direction.

Now I am not sure what the Women's World Cup is but if it is the soccer tournament, the games in Paris are at Parc des Princes, which is west of Paris, so in the complete opposite direction. So Créteil might not be the most convenient location for that, although the end of the line, Balard is walking distance to the stadium - not the closest station but feasible and direct from Créteil, but it will be quite a long ride.

So I don't know if the house suits your needs or not. The northwestern parts of Créteil are the best neighborhoods and if you do decide to stay there, you have the lovely Parc Dupeyroux (practically outside your door) and further east past the village, the lovely islands on the river Marne. They are a hidden gem for walking or canoeing in lush greenery that feels like a miniature tropical mangrove. A very unique place around Paris.

But don't let your teenage daughters get too adventurous on their own in other parts of Créteil late at night (but apart from the excellent and renowned independent Cinémas du Palais, there would be nothing to do there anyway).

California
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Champeval VRBO

Thanks Mrs FM, I knew you'd be able to give a good description of the area. And oops, not tennis LOL

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
5. Re: Champeval VRBO

I had to google it, Annette, LOL!

I realize I made a typo: I meant the *northeastern* parts of Créteil are the best. (Or rather, not exactly a typo, it is more that I always get east and west confused.)

2 posts
1 review
6. Re: Champeval VRBO

Thank You Mrs.FM, that is very helpful information. Much Appreciated.

George

Reply to: Champeval VRBO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted