We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

Visitng Paris for the first time. Is it true people are super fashionable in Paris and will look at your weird if you are walking around in sneakers (super casual, America style)?

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,846 Reviews
from US$ 37.60*
US$ 44.20
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$ 110.40*
85 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
973 posts
1. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

No, who told you this??

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,853 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

The answer is......no. Parisians wear sneakers, shorts and t-shirts too. They aren't concerned with what you wear and neither should you be.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
3. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

You are most likely going to be surrounded by other tourists rather than fashionable (some) or unfashionable (many) Parisians. But everyone wears sneakers these days. No problem. The only thing that (teenage) Parisians sometimes snicker at are American basketball shorts.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

Contrary to what you've heard.... There are no Fashion Police in Paris and you will not be arrested for not looking like a Parisian - which most of us can't do no matter how hard we try.

Comfort is most important, especially shoes, but other than that, as long as you are neat and clean and dressed appropriately, you will not draw any weird looks.

If you are going to a nice, not necessarily $$$$ restaurant, dress a bit nicer than you would do during the day... black pants and a black top and some simple jewelry or a scarf, is always appropriate.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

Yes,unless you wear a Coco Chanel suit and Hermes scarf you will be laughed at.

Please, wear you sneakers, college hoodies and backward baseball hats. No one cares.

Central, Indiana
Level Contributor
417 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

We just returned from Paris. I saw lots of tennis shoes and jeans. I saw a lot of retro tennis shoes, e.g., Adidas Stan Smiths (which I wore back in the early 80s). I was struck by how casual everybody was. Stylish, but casual.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 05:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

Fashion varies significantly but in terms of style, many Parisians incorporate darker colors such as black, dark green, navy blue, and grey into their "look" but accent the ensemble with scarves, sweaters, and/or the seemingly ubiquitous white "Stan Smith" Adidas shoes for both men and women. Jeans are worn out on the town a lot accompanied by something a little smarter than usual and darker shoes.That said, the French tend to be rather pragmatic in the way they dress day-to-day: comfort, simple, and generally put-together seem to be mantras to go by if one wants to try blending in a bit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,105 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

Stand on a subway platform and look around -- 80% of the people at minimum will be wearing jeans; sometimes it is more like 95%. Including old ladies. Most of them will be wearing athletic shoes of one sort or another although usually not giant white ones. And no one will care what you are wearing. There are settings where dressing well gets you better treatment and some restaurants with dress codes -- but mostly the ultra casual grubby look pioneered in the Seattle of my youth has won the world. Everybody looks sloppy today although the French manage to make sloppy look a bit more elegant.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
26,435 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

The only thing that still shocks Parisians is the concept of heavy makeup on young women.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks

I am going in to Paris today so I will make an effort to look at people in this respect then report back. I have those french short pants on so I will have to find some Americans to model for my observations.

Reply to: Fashion in Paris.....weird looks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted