We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
car rental

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of renting a medium sized car- for 8 people, for a city tour.

Has anyone used mydriverparis service and would like to share their experience?

Or can anyone advise me a reliable company that provides hourly rental car?

thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
1. Re: car rental

I don't know what kind of medium sized car will hold 8 people. Are you intending on self-driving for sightseeing around the city? That is strongly ill-advised. Use transit if mobility is an issue, or if you want an overview tour of the city take one of the HOHO busses.

Edited: 23 September 2018, 17:47
California
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: car rental

You *don't* want to rent a car to drive around Paris!!! Having a car is a huge disadvantage. You'll spend way too much time driving around looking for a place to park (there isn't a parking lot next to every attraction the way there is in the US), and it's expensive.

If all you want is a drive-by tour, look at the Foxity 2 hour bus tour. It will probably end up being cheaper for 8 people than renting a van, paying 6€ a gallon for gas, and parking a couple times.

Edited: 23 September 2018, 19:28
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: car rental

Rent a car for touring Paris in traffic on unfamiliar streets and trying to find parking??

How did you come up with that plan?

California
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: car rental

Just out of curiosity, I ran a check on AutoEurope.com (we've rented from them before, for trips outside Paris) and the only 8 passenger vehicle available on a random date in October was $686 for a day. That's 32 tour bus tickets.

And by the way, 1 child under 12 is free with each paying adult with Foxity.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,115 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: car rental

Forget the rental car. You will be better off using 2 taxis or Uber.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: car rental

The only type of vehicle that would hold 8 people is a minibus, not a medium sized car which holds a maximum of 5 including driver. To transport more than the intended capacity in France 1) results in a large fine or even confiscation for overloading the vehicle, 2) invalidates the insurance. If you want a driver on top of the rental it would make it a very costly experience. Others have already pointed out the problems of access and parking. When I want to park on the street in Paris it is not infrequent that I spend the best part of 1 hour to find a space that cost €4 per hour, limited to 2 hours of parking. That space could then be 20 minutes on foot from where I want to go.

California
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: car rental

Look up Tuk Tuk in Paris -- they will drive you around wherever you want to go, or take you on one of their preset tours of the city. They say they carry up to 6 passengers, but I saw 4 adults and 4 kids hop out of one a few weeks ago. Don't know if your party are all adults, or some kids included. http://www.tuktukinparis.com/en/

Reply to: car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted