We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

6 posts
Save Topic
A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

I'm on a trip to France and the wallet with my credit and debit cards were stolen.

So I wonder if I could get a new debit card here in Paris or anywhere else in France?

Is there a bank that issues debit cards to tourists and visitors?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
643 Reviews
from US$ 73.10*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
701 Reviews
from US$ 47.60*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,266 Reviews
from US$ 101.00*
15 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,835 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

If you reported your cc and debit card stolen, your bank should issue a new one; ask if they can send replacement to France.

I doubt that any French bank will want to give you a credit.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
California
Level Contributor
8,181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

<<Is there a bank that issues debit cards to tourists and visitors?>> No

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

Had my wallet stolen on a trip to Paris a few years ago. Reported the issue to Visa as soon as I was able to. Due to the length of the trip, they were not able to send a new card, but did wire transfer a cash advance to cover my expenses till I returned home.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

My husband's wallet was stolen in Spain in 2014. He picked up a temporary American Express replacement card in Nice about 2 days later -- it never worked though. Meanwhile, Citibank delivered a replacement Mastercard that worked to an address that we provided about 5 days later. You should contact your credit/charge card provider to see what services they can offer for a person whose card has been stolen. A French bank will not issue you a replacement card. I guess you could open an account in France but from my experience with opening an account at a French bank, this is not a quick and easy process for a non-resident, especially if you are a US national.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
France
France
Europe
California
Level Contributor
8,181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

<<ening an account at a French bank, this is not a quick and easy process for a non-resident, especially if you are a US national.>> Exactly. One of our French accounts was opened in conjunction with our mortgage, and the other after a deposit of $25,000...so I highly doubt a tourist can open a quick account.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

When you contact your bank to report the missing cards, they should be able to send you replacement cards. Hopefully, you can prove your identity, I think that will come into play. I had to have my American Express replaced several years ago, and they had it ready next day from one of their travel service centers. You may be able to get some assistance from the embassy or consulate.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

Without proof of residence in France it is virtually impossible to open a bank account here.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

Exactly what tradeform says plus many financial institutions will no longer deal with US citizens since FATCA

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

Same same in the UK.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?

A bank that issued cards to tourists and visitors would likely not be in business for long. French banks certainly will not do it. I don't know if any bank would do it. Your best bet is to contact your own bank and try to get a quick replacement.

Reply to: A way to get a Visa or Master Card in France?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted