We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris July visit agenda

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
23 posts
Paris July visit agenda

We are part of a group tour arriving in Paris on July 12 (from London) and staying at the Novotel Paris Centre Eiffel.

Day 1 includes an overview tour of the city along with Eiffel Tower visit in the AM and the Versailles Palace in the afternoon.

Days 2-4 (Saturday-Monday) are open for us to do as we please. Most in our group of 8 on this trip have not been to Paris previously. We want to visit 1-2 museums (Louvre for sure), Notre Dame and the Montmartre area during this time.

Saturday, July 14 is Bastille Day, which will lead to large crowds on the Avenue des Champs Élysées during the day and near the Eiffel Tower in the evening for the fireworks. Good day to visit Montmartre?

Sunday - any closures or other considerations?

Will the transportation strikes impact us if we are not going out of the general Paris area?

Looking for suggestions as to timing of visits to the above attractions so as to maximize our time in the city.

5 replies to this topic
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
163 reviews
1. Re: Paris July visit agenda

The Louvre is closed on Tuesday.

The Orsay is my favorite museum in Paris and arguably better than the Louvre. They are closed on Monday, The Orangeries is a must for any fans of Monet's Waterlilies, and they are closed on Tuesday. The Orangerie is in the Tuileries gardens, so it's a good, small museum to visit on the same day as the Louvre.

I would recommend a visit to Galeries Lafayette for shopping. I adore that gorgeous art-deco department store. They have a wonderful rooftop patio and on the first floor there is a wonderful scarf department with nice scarves in all sorts of price ranges. My husband usually hangs out at the cafe across the street (Le Ricaux) while I shop. Further, I think the summer sales will still be on while you're there. The shoppers in the group will love that.

I like your plan to go to Montmartre on the 14th. Also not a bad day to visit Notre Dame if you wanted to climb the towers.

Sunday is the start of the summer holidays in Paris. Lots of small businesses will be closing for 2-6 weeks. Major things will still be open, like museums and touristy stuff.

The strikes might be over by then. When I was visiting, the first week of the strikes, there were a few cancellations. notably one bus I wanted to take was cancelled. But most everything else was just fine. That was the only thing I noticed. The other buses were running, and the metros were running, as well as the taxis.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,543 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Paris July visit agenda

The bus cancellation would have nothing to do with the rolling series of train strikes. These strikes have no effect on the Paris metro, bus and tram systems. RER Line C is affected, as is RER Line B north of Gare du Nord and some eastern branches of RER Line A. On these RER lines, trains are running on strike days, but not as often as usual.

London, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Paris July visit agenda

As noted, the rolling train strikes will have NO impact on the normal operations of the Parisian metro, bus or trams. Any issue associated with the bus is independent of the strikes.

With eight people in your group, I'd recommend splitting up if you're able to. That way, people can be free to do as they wish. Groups of eight can become difficult to coordinate.

The best way to maximise your time is to decide in advance what is non-negotiable for you. For me, I cannot visit Paris without ascending the tower at Notre Dame and without walking up the hill to the north side of the Sacré Coeur. If I do only those two things, then I leave happy, feeling that I've maximised my time. Anything else that I end up doing is a bonus.

With a group of 8, you might have everyone decide in advance what is one thing that is absolutely non-negotiable for them. Once you've got that list, you can begin to create a truly excellent itinerary.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,464 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Paris July visit agenda

You can take advantage of this during a July visit ---> https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-show-exhibiti…

Pjk

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Paris July visit agenda

I wouldn't say that "lots" of small businesses will be closing beginning July 15th. Of course, it's Sunday, so they may be closed because of that, as usual. Some that close for summer usually do it in August, not beginning July 15th, it seems to me. Businesses catering to tourists won't be closing, that's for sure (like all the shops around the Seine selling souvenirs and stuff).

Reply to: Paris July visit agenda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted