We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris to Bayeux

Iowa
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
Train from Paris to Bayeux

Everything I read says that there are direct trains from Paris to Bayeux (and back) that get you there in about 2 hours. We'll be visiting the first week of September, and when I pull up the schedule to book a ticket, there are only trains with multiple connections that take 4+ hours, nothing direct. When I check other dates (e.g. in August) there are many direct trains. Is there something going on in September such that the schedule is changing? Or is the schedule just not updated yet this far out? I've been unable to get a response from Rail Europe.

10 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
33 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

You just need to look in the right place to see the direct 2hr 15 services. Do not under any circumstances use Rail Europe. Go to www.oui.sncf and set the language choice to French - this is essential (use the country flag top right). Ignore any offers of redirection to other sites. Repeat your search. You will see the scheduled services.

The tickets are not yet open for sale. In theory tickets are released 3 months in advance of travel but in practice on this route it is often more like one month before travel. You can sign up to an email alert when they open up for sale.

Edited: 06 June 2018, 09:17
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
32 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

First, don't use Rail Europe, the prices are jacked up. Use the official site https://www.sncf.com/ or use https://www.trainline.eu/ (which is sometimes friendlier for U.S. CC's)

If the trains are not appearing there, you may just be a little early and the schedules are not posted yet for those dates.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
33 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

Trainline.eu is fine for purchasing the tickets once they have gone on sale, but the OP will not see any of the September direct trains in the Trainline search results. Even the English language version of www.oui.sncf does not show them. The only place to see them at the moment is on the French language version of www.oui.sncf.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,586 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

welcome padwan,

heres a website for you to bookmark.

www.seat61.com

alot of great train info in it.

travel books have alot of info too.

good luck.

Virginia
Level Contributor
723 posts
121 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

Yes. Go to SNCF and find the straight shot 2 hour trains. Sign up for an email notification of when they go on sale (approx 3 months out). Then go to trainline.eu to purchase them. That's what I did and it works perfectly.

Edited: 06 June 2018, 17:35
Iowa
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

We are also trying to book a train from Paris to Bayeux in September and had the same experience regarding the 4 hour train time with 2 connections. Thank you for all the advice. I will be patient.

Orange County, CA
2 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

I am traveling from Gare Saint-Lazare, Paris to Bayeux, Normandy in October 2018. I have taken this train route before and it was generally 2.5 hours, with one stop in Caen.

I cannot find a trip shorter than 4.5 hours.

Does anyone know how I can find the shorter trips? Since the train stops in Caen, should I be looking for a direct to Caen? if so how do I add Bayeux to the trip?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

What you can do is re-read the thread and follow the advice to wait for tickets to go on sale. You can use the French version of oui.sncf.com (as has already been mentioned) and sign up for email alerts (if the train says "train non ouvert") to be notified when tickets go on sale.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
10. Re: Train from Paris to Bayeux

You are awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Reply to: Train from Paris to Bayeux
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted