We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

Level Contributor
36 posts
Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

I have a one-year multiple-entry Schengen visa from France.

I was supposed to visit Prague and Paris, but due to an emergency back home I had to cut my trip short and ended up only visiting Prague.

Do you think this will affect my chances of getting a visa in the future?

I heard that the lack of French stamps can raise some questions, but then again, if I had flown to Paris on Czech Airlines, I wouldn't have gotten a French stamp either. (Czech Airlines does a stopover in Prague en route to Paris)

Can Schengen officers tell that I haven't visited Paris?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,11,206 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

There is no way that anyone can know where you went within the Schengen area. People often enter and leave the Schengen area through a country that is not the one that issued the visa.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
11,163 posts
32 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

Not sure how they would know.

When one travels from one Schengen country to another, normally don't pass through any immigration -- just get off the plane and leave the airport, as one would on a domestic flight. Entrance stamp at the entry Schengen country and an exit when departing from the last.

Atherton, California
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
60 reviews
60 helpful votes
3. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

There is no way to track someone within the Schengen zone, unless they hire a private investigator to follow them around, so I won't fret about it. You will be fine.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
14 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

What's the problem? You apply for a visa to the country where you anticipate spending most of your time. You got a 12 month multiple entry visa for France. It seems you entered Schengen at the Czech Republic, and you could have travelled to Paris and back again to Prague from where it seems you returned home.

The multiple entry visa remains in force for 12 months. Use it in the meantime or re-apply after 12 months.

Are you concerned that you did a virtual turn-around - into and out of Prague on the same day? Stuff happens. People break journeys for all kinds of reasons. Of course if you had on-going or return travel booked with an airline you should have worked with them so they were aware of your travel needs and processed the changes - just being a no-show would generate issues for you in the future. I once wanted to drop a leg of a return journey and was told by my travel agent that doing that would see the rest of my ticket cancelled.

Is that what you are worried about?

Level Contributor
36 posts
5. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have already visited Prague.

The problem is that according to Schengen rules, you're supposed to spend most of your time in the country that issued your visa.

Since I haven't even visited France, I'm worried that the officials might consider this as a misuse of the Schengen visa.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,11,206 posts
17 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

>>I'm worried that the officials might consider this as a misuse of the Schengen visa<<

There is no way that any officials can know where you went in the Schengen area.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
14 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

I suspect that the "most of your time" rule is just a bureaucratic mechanism for sharing the workload around - otherwise people might apply to the country on a popularity basis. And as France is the most visited Schengen destination (or rumoured to be so) they would cop most of the visa processing load. I guess they do anyway, on that logic.

1 post
8. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

To those all saying its impossible to track where you were. Some officials during reapplication will require applicants to provide bills or any similar proves that the issuing country have been visited.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
14 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

Really Vladimir? Officials of which countries? Are they Schengen?

My experience is that the answer on forms to the "country most visited" question can be a bit of a guess, especially where one is visiting several Schengen countries for short stays. What do you do when you plan to spend four days each in Spain, France and Italy? In that case I would put the country first entered. Travellers frequently change their mind, add or subtract time in country, miss out places altogether.

I know in the case of my visa for St Petersburg the controls seemed much stricter as to where I would be visiting - but the main thing seemed to be to enter and leave on the days specified. That is not a concern in the Schengen countries.

1 post
10. Re: Not visiting the country that issued my Schengen visa

Have traveled to 11 countries in the last five years.

Nobody ever asked for bills !!

This is new for me.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.