We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working and travelling in france

luvtotravel00
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Working and travelling in france

My sons girlfriend is going to France as a Uni exchange student for a year. My son wants to go with her and work and travel. From what I’ve read he would have to have a work contact in place to apply for the 12 month visa and an address in Fance. He has been saving for 18mths so has some money to fund him but not enough for 1 year. Has anyone recently applied for s work tourist visa and can share their experience.

The Green Way
Sightseeing Tours
Hit the Road
Literary, Art & Music Tours
5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,230 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Working and travelling in france

So far as I know, there is no such thing as a "work tourist visa". If he wants to work or to stay for more than 90 days, he will have to obtain a normal long-stay visa and these are very difficult to obtain.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Working and travelling in france

What is his nationality? If not from an EU country it will be as difficult as getting blood from a stone.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,095 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Working and travelling in france

Since we are not mind readers, we will need to know your son's nationality to provide an answer.

Or maybe your son could check with the French consulate about this?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Working and travelling in france

Maybe a student visa would be the way to go. He would be allowed to work around 20 hours a week. This visa requires that he is able to show savings to support himself but the amount required is less than for a non-working long stay visa. He would, of course, need to enroll in a school as well. Getting a company to sponsor his visa is nearly impossible unless he already works for a company with offices in France.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Working and travelling in france

And, it does depend on where you are from. Check with the French consulate for your area for specifics on visas and requirements.

Reply to: Working and travelling in france
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted