We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronic stores in Paris

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
Electronic stores in Paris

Hi everyone,

I am planning on purchasing a MP3 player in Paris (the features I want are only available in players sold in countries like France), here is the specific product I'm talking about: samsung.com/fr/…

Does anyone have suggestions on electronic stores where I can buy this (or any MP3 players in general) at a reasonable price?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,844 Reviews
from US$ 37.30*
US$ 43.80
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$ 109.40*
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
277 posts
1. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

The first store that comes to mind is FNAC. You could try searching online to see if they do carry the product.

www.fnac.com

Good luck.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,468 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

You will be the first person I have ever heard of going to France to buy electronics. Due to the VAT (and perhaps other reasons) French prices for electronics are very high by US standards - can't really say about prices in Canada so maybe this is not such a great leap.

I remember there are several French online companies (like www.newegg.com in the US) but I do not recall their names. As far as retail outlets try:

http://www.darty.com/

http://www.carrefour.com/

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,860 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

carrefour would have very good prices if they do carry it. (they are like future shop + walmart + loblaws). FNAC is a much nicer store and better located, though.

Probably he's looking for a machine that can display French or has RDS/Bluetooth.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

I suggest you also try Surcouf - it's an enormous computer store with a deeper assortment than FNAC, Carrefour or others. In Paris, their store is on the Avenue Daumesnil (where there are also other electronics/computer shops in the vicinity).

I checked, but unfortunately, their website (www.surcouf.com) doesn't mention the Samsung YP T9JBAB (yet?). If it's a very new model, that could explain it - they do have 4 other Samsung MP3 players.

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
5. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

Haha... RDS and Bluetooth are exactly the features I was looking for (the ones they sell in North America don't have them, only the ones sold in Europe do). So overall would you suggest buying electronics in other places like London, as supposed to Paris?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,789 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

FNAC own Surcouf. Both have websites, but if you go to google.fr you may be able to cost comparison shop from home.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

Fnac Digital on Boulevard St Germain near Odeon is where I would go. Do be sure to ask for "detax" so you can get the tax back when you exit the country.

Surcouf as others have mentioned may have it but they arent going to have a discount on a brand new big name player. They have good prices on things they buy in lots and on paper etc but not usually the new stuff.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

If I'm not mistaken, France still has its "redevance" included in the price of the player - which means you pay a percentage on top of the price which goes to the "Société de perception de la rémunération pour la copie privée" or Sorecop. This is to (theoretically) compensate the music companies and musicians for the fact that you could play illegally copied music on the player. But you will understand that this means that the prices for mp3 players in France are often higher than in other countries...

9. Re: Electronic stores in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 14:54