We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

Would love to treat my 10 yr old girl to a GF croissant! We are staying near the Eiffel Tower. Thanks!!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
686 Reviews
from US$ 73.60*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
745 Reviews
from US$ 47.90*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,283 Reviews
from US$ 111.10*
17 replies to this topic
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
544 posts
1. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

Below is from a New York Times article I found through Google:

However, at least for now, there is one pastry that remains elusive to even the most talented of gluten-free bakers. The light, flaky croissant whose crispy crust and soft, almost chewy insides are too utterly dependent on gluten to replicate — that is, without adding gums, starches and preservatives that these bakers won’t use.

Here are some suggestions of gf bakeries to look for: https:/…

Enjoy your trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,849 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

a croissant is literally an exercise in gluten -- that is what makes them the way they are. there is no substitute. But there are lots of breads and cookies that are quite delightful available in Paris that are gluten free. Supermarkets have gluten free sections where you can buy cookies and such that may be new to your daughter. (we love plain old commercial cookies when going to a new country as they are quite different in different places and it is a super cheap treat compared to bakery pastries) We have found the occasional bakery which has gluten free bread section but those are not terribly common so you will need to do some searching.

If you could make the trip an exploration in amazing cheeses, you may have a lot better luck at making it fun than trying to find a gluten free croissant that won't taste or feel anything like a croissant. The markets are also full of interesting treats like fruits that are unique, nuts and olives in stunning profusion. Last time we shopped a market we got a smoked mackerel which was lovely and would be lovely on a gluten free cracker. And cheese shops are like Disneyland for cheese. Maybe seek out a fancy cheese a day to try.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,849 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

PS One of my kids had some severe food restrictions as a child and one of the things we did was to try to find really special things she could have. For example, she had to have very low fat meals so when we went out we would get her a shrimp cocktail which she loved, which was often very fancy, and it made her feel that she was having a treat rather than a deprivation. She still remembers with gratitude that we did this and how great it made her feel. (the only drawback is that passersby would occasionally make snotty comments about 'little miss spoiled' or whatever when they saw this 7 year old sitting there with a giant fancy shrimp cocktail.)

That is why I mention the cheese hunt as an option. You could get very luxury and very weird with the incredible array of interesting looking and tasting cheese and make this a wonderful treat search rather than focusing on the bread.

Perpignan, France
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

http://biospherecafe.fr/

Note that gluten free croissants have to be ordered in advance.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

A gluten-free croissant is an oxymoron. The structure of the croissant depends on gluten.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

That is a great story Janet! What a great way to look at it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
7. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

This looks great! I am thrilled to know my Celiac daughter will be able to enjoy French cooking and baking! Thank you.

Seattle
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
8. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

This looks great! I am thrilled to know my Celiac daughter will be able to enjoy French cooking and baking! Thank you.

France
Level Contributor
643 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

If you go to a bakery (boulangerie) close to your hotel and tell them about this, they should be able to fix a few (of what would look like croissants) on order with GF ingredients for the next day. Some bakeries hold GF bread (Rice, Corn...) but have not seen any croissants though. Guess it's an art by itself and the gluten plays a major part in the texture. Note also that traditional receipe has a lot of butter (Croissant beurre) - you can also ask for it to be without.

Los Angeles...
1 post
2 reviews
10. Re: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???

The best gluten free croissants that I had in Europe were actually in Portugal! And FYI, you do not have to have gluten to have a good croissant. I've been allergic since the 1990s and GF has come a LONG WAY!!! I bet the people who posted here who think that croissants can't be made gluten free have never tried one. You can get anything gluten free nowadays. But I live in the GF capital of the world, LA. I've had donuts, bundt cakes, dinner rolls, etc. all gluten free and they are just as good as the (arguably) unhealthy glutinous ones. I've even been to blind taste testings and the snooty people who think gluten free is gross get it wrong! LOL

Reply to: Best gluten free croissant in Paris???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted