We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

I was in line at the Louvre today and watched a guy with a black plastic bucket (marked "€1") fill his bucket in one of the fountains outside the Louvre. I didn't think much until I saw him walk over to a bench (a friend had lined up several empty plastic water bottles), they dumped the fountain water into the bottles, capped them, split them up, and set out TO SELL THEM!!!

My stomach turned all day thinking that someone can seriously get ill from drinking that water! Those bottles probably came from the trash and are swimming with anything from that fountain! Please tell me that other people know about this, as I read up on other scams in Paris, but never knew of this one?

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
303 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,037 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

EVen new clean bottled water is often stored in disgusting places including sewer entrances -- never buy bottled water from a street vendor.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

It's the touch screen on the iPhone, android or tablet that is the most disease ridden item in contact with humans. It's the #1 item mainly because people use them whilst sitting on the throne. Otherwise it's the keypad at ATMs and or supermarkets checkout lines which are spreading viruses. Here, hold my phone and finger swipe through my vacation photos of me drinking from tainted water bottles I bought in Paris...

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

I see this when running the Berges de la Seine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

Thanks for posting. I didn't know this one.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

These type of guys do this all over the place- saw it in Morocco about 30 years ago-obviously I was only 5 at the time! ;) But a useful reminder to make sure you carry plenty of water with you- cos if you are desperate for water you'll drink ANYTHING!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

Wouldn't the seals on these bottles be broken?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

Yes, the seals are broken.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

And people buy them anyway? Wow, you learn something new every day. I would never have thought that there was enough money to be made selling bottles of water that look like they have already been opened because I never thought anyone would buy them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,037 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

It isn't obvious if the seal is broken if you don't pay close attention. Years ago my husband and I had dinner in a small Italian town and bought bottled water. I thought the bottles looked worn and commented they were refilled, but my husband said 'I saw them take the cap off.' The next day we picked up my mother at the Rome airport and stopped in this town to show her where we had been staying before driving her to Florence. As she and I sat on the town square we watched someone from the restaurant where we had eaten the night before arrive at the square with a wagon loaded with cases of bottles; he proceeded to fill them at the town pump. Now this was good water, but it was a lesson in why you always order bottled water with gas.

There are water fountains all over Paris -- Wallace Fountains -- where you can refill your own water bottle.

https:/…

And of course you can easily buy bottled water in almost any food store.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Wallace
Wallace
136 Reviews
Paris, France
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Water Bottle Scam--beware!!

It's the last 2 points of post 9 that made me think that there would not be much of a market in Paris for buying water in unsealed bottles from random vendors on the streets.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France